PDA

View Full Version : Windflower

Jay Sheinfield
09-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Cropped to frame. Soft focus on white pedals. LRC pedal cloned to fill small corner void/

Nikon D3
ISO 200
1/30 sec @f/20
150mm macro

Comments welcome......................

Roman Kurywczak
09-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey Jay,
I like the strong/simple comp with the center placed nicely in the frame. I would expect some additional sharpness at f20 so double check that. I am debating the yellows/oranges....close IMO..... so just keep that in mind. Biggest recommendation is to lighten up some of the lower pistels?......just a touch to bring out some extra depth there. Overall.....very nicely done!

Jerry van Dijk
09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Jay, nice details on this flower. This might work well with a square crop, it will rid you of part of the empty UR corner, but I like it as presented as well. I do think that you should brighten up the image a bit, my guess is that the whites allow it.

Ken Childs
09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Jay, this works well but the dark area in the UR is bothering me, probably more than it should. I just tried a strong dose of SH to lighten up the darker areas and I thought it looked pretty good. It also brought out a bit of green in that dark corner which, IMO, looks good. :)

Jay Sheinfield
09-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Ken,

Yup, good catch. I went back to my original and re-processed the image with simply curve adjustments and some light balancing here and there....................

Roman,

thanks, not sure what you meant by the oranges and yellows? This new post work? I agree
the DOF could be better..................

Jerry,

Brighter!:)

Anita Bower
09-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Beautiful colors, lines and shapes in this image. Aren't flowers amazing?

I prefer your repost, which lightens up the image and makes it pop. It also makes the URC less dark, which is a plus. Is there a way to lighten up that area more? I find it a bit distracting as it is such a contrast with the rest of the image. Dark corners are something i often have problems with. I'm wondering if the oranges/yellows are just a touch too bright? There are a couple of little smudges on white in LLC area that might be cloned, as well as a brownish area on the back petal near upper edge by the dark corner. Just a few suggestions to improve this lovely image!

Jay Sheinfield
09-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Hi Anita,

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree these would all help improve the image.
Always nice to hear from you.

Jay