PDA

View Full Version : Red Knots - juvenile

Lloyd Spitalnik
09-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Not the typical image you usually see on this board. As I hope you all know, these birds are in extreme danger. Worldwide numbers have plunged by 90% or more. It's great to see juveniles making it:). Canon Mark IV, 500 f/4, 1.4X TC, ISO 400, f/7.1, 1/2000s

Arthur Morris
09-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Beautiful fresh juvies with buff still on the bellies. Yes, this species has been in trouble, and the horsheshoe crab moratorium is a good thing, and yes, the crabs too are making a comeback, but this year's count's showed that the populations are down only 50%; obviously they missed a few last year :) Sometimes the scientists do not count such good....

Joe Senzatimore
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Different , and very well presented. You made the two birds "pop". Works very well. Missed you last night. Hope you got something good , as it was a beautiful evening on the beach.

denise ippolito
09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Lloyd, I think you did a nice job with the framing and presentation. I would also be interested in seeing a wider cropped version as Peter mentioned. The two juvi's really do pop off the page. Nicely captured.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I too would love to see a wider crop, especially including the complete "peep" at right if you have it.

Lloyd Spitalnik
09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
I understand why a wider view has been requested but feel it takes a way from the subject. Having been a birder for the last 25 years, sometimes my goal as a wildlife photographer is to showcase the bird and not necessarily go for the beautiful photo. Of course, both would be fantastic. Anyway, your wish is my command.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the repost Lloyd. This comp feels much better. The Knots are still very much showcased and are the obvious main characters of your image, plus the complete peep at right feels like it should be there rather than brutaly chopped away at the face (although I wish it was looking this way instead of away). Now all that is missing are catchlights in the knots' eyes:)