PDA

View Full Version : spring

Grahame Hamblin
09-01-2010, 12:33 AM
D300 f11 1.5 sec added boarder some sharpening comments needed
Grahame

Anita Bower
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Beautiful flowers in an unusual but striking vase. I especially like the buds on the right and the diagonal line created. The light is soft and complements the flowers.

I think the overall image is a bit dark. I brightened it up using levels, curves, contrast and saturation. I also rotated the image slightly CW to get the horizontal table line straight. I cropped the bottom, despite the reflection. My thinking was that since only part of the vase was was reflected, cutting more off would not hurt; it also allowed the flowers to move down a bit into the rule of thirds position. I cloned some spots off the table, but there may be more to be done. It seems the BG on the left side is lighter than the rest. The dark BG nicely offsets the flowers.

I hope these thoughts help. I imagine others will share their views.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful flowers.

Roman Kurywczak
09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Gahame,
I think Anita was correct that this was dark a bit overall. As mentioned a striking composition with the nice vase adding to the image. I do like the crop she chose and the direction with the lighting.....although you could go in many directions with that. Oveall, nicely done and making the suggested tweaks only takes this up a notch.

Grahame Hamblin
09-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Thank you both for your comments have followed your ideas and i must admit it really pops and my wife now thinks i am improving.
Many thanks Grahame

Anita Bower
09-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Thank you both for your comments have followed your ideas and i must admit it really pops and my wife now thinks i am improving.
Many thanks Grahame
You are improving. I learn so much from the critiques I get on this and other forums here at BPN.