PDA

View Full Version : Paper Wasp Queen

Steve Maxson
08-31-2010, 01:16 PM
This Paper Wasp (Polistes spp) Queen is tending her nest waiting for her first batch of eggs to hatch. 40D, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT24 twin lights (diffused), tripod. This is a "studio" shot. A photographer friend, who is good at this sort of thing, constructed a small chamber made from a translucent plastic juice pitcher. A piece of glass is fastened over the open end and a small plastic tube is attached at the closed end. This unit attaches to a window ledge such that the small tube goes through a hole in the window screen to the outside. The wasp was captured and its new nest was carefully collected and attached inside the chamber. After a few days, the tube to the outside is opened and the queen can go in and out to provide food for her developing young - and provide many photo opportunities. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey Steve,
Now that is quite the setup! Did you try this with more DOF? I think this is sharp where it needs to be.....but would be really cool to see the DOF maxed out too.....unless it introduced some unwanted BG stuff. All in all....very well done and thought out!

Ian Cassell
08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
That is a really cool setup with exciting prospects for following the progress as the young hatch. I look forward to seeing more as the days go on (what's the gestation period for a wasp?).

I agree with Roman. This is sharp at the insect's head, but an image with more DOF would be nice too. I love it.

Mike Moats
08-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey Steve, very cool image with good position in the frame. Also would have liked a little more DOF, but still a good image as is.

Dave Leroy
08-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Interesting idea and a good story Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Sharpness already mentioned and really well done on the colours.

Dave

Ken Childs
09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Steve, that's a great way to capture these aggressive creatures without taking any risk!
It looks good as is but I also would like to see this with more DOF.