PDA

View Full Version : Ten-Mile Range, Copper Mountain Ski Resort

Fred J. Lord
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
This is about eight frames shot from next to the Ski Patrol Headquarters on Copper Mountain. The view is of the west side of the Ten-Mile Range. Breckenridge Ski Resort is on the other side of this range.

Canon 1D Mark III, 24-70L @ 34mm, shot horizontally, Gitzo 1325 w/leveling head, Kirk BH-1 ball head, RRS sliding rail, Hamma Double Bubble, carefully leveled.

Any criticisms, or suggestions are welcome. I will be donating a print of this to the Ski Patrol for fundraising at the end of the month.

Fred

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi Fred,

Nice idea donating a print for the Ski Patrol fund raising. I like the inclusion of the sky on this one with all the clouds but the FG leaves we wanting more of the slopes as they just drop off the bottom of the image.

SInce you did a horizontal panorama, going vertical would have allowed you to include a wider vertical view and given you a higher resolution final image too. Good luck with the donation, I hope it fund raising goes well.

Fred J. Lord
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Robert: Unfortunately, the slope drops completely away in front of where I was standing when the images were made. The only thing between me and the abyss was some nylon rope and a stick of bamboo. The slope over to the right is called Spaulding Bowl and it continues down below where I was standing. I will be working on some variations of this image from a slightly higher viewpoint in future. I was using 34mm on my 24-70 so could have opened out to 24mm as well. I may do that in future.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Fred

Robert Amoruso
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Fred,

You let that stop you.:D

But seriously, with comments such as mine only you know if it is possible. I appreciate you commenting back and agree that is how the composition had to be. I figured that was the case. Nice work and keep them coming.

David Kennedy
03-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Fred,
The only thing I might suggest is that the blues in the sky might be a little too blue, but only by a smidge. Nicely done and thank you for sharing!

Bob Ettinger
03-11-2008, 06:44 PM
What Robert said.

Arthur Morris
03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I am no pano or secnie photographer but I do know that this image needs something more in the forgeground whether or not there was anything there! Later and love, artie

Fred J. Lord
03-14-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't have any whole cloth right now but I'll look around for some.

I just looked up the Papago Ponds on Google Earth. Might be worth a look next month when we're there. Think there'll be any bird life still around? I know there were lots of Ring-necked ducks around the golf courses last time I was down there.

Fred