PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Warbler

Glenda Simmons
08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Yesterday morning, I drove to the Gulf coast in hopes of spotting some first of season migrating warblers, that had been reported a couple of days earlier, in this state park, "Bald Point" I was thrilled to see Redstarts, Blue-grey Gnatcatchers and some warblers too quick for me to capture with my binoculars or camera. But I did get a couple of shots of this male Praire Warbler as he was foraging in the native shrubs. The Prairie Warbler is a Eastern warbler that winters in Florida to Nicaragua.

I was hand holding my canon 7D with 100-400 lens at 400 mm, and is still a good bit cropped. f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/640, +1/3

Greg Basco
08-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Hi, Glenda. I think you did a good job handling the exposure here. The bird looks bright but the highlights on those shiny leaves are pretty well in check. I'm thinking just a tiny bit of fill-flash might have helped to illuminate the face. I'll bet these guys are hard to catch!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Dick Glover
08-31-2010, 07:39 PM
I like the bird, the leaves and berries although overall, it looks a bit overexposed -- not much. I do find the blurry area just to the right of the bird to be a major distraction as it causes me to wonder what it is, or caused it.
Thanks for sharing this very nice image.

Julie Brown
09-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Glenda. Nice shot of this pretty bird. The tones of the surrounding vegetation are complementary, IMO.

Doug Brown
09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Nicely done Glenda. Sounds like you had a productive day! I think the use of fill flash here would have helped bring out some detail in the bird. I would tone down the bright leaves just a little.