PDA

View Full Version : The Drive-In

Matt Lerer
08-30-2010, 12:06 AM
This was taken at sunset on a river that I fish. I have been told the car bodies...I believe 60 of them...were put in place many years ago to help stop erosion on this turn of the river. A vintage car collectors paradise! The white lines on them are from high water marks. They are all filled with rocks to keep them in place and trees have grown out of them over the years. Hope you like the image.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ghireptiles/west/DriveIn%20BPN.jpg

HDR 7 shot
Mark IV
Canon 16-35 f2.8
16mm
f22
ISO 50

Robert Amoruso
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Matt,

I could not think of a more unscenic way to stop erosion but you captured a compelling image. Great work on the HDR as I did not even know that until I read your description. What shutter speed was used - important information especially when water is involved. I light the look of the water in the image.

Matt Lerer
08-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks Robert. The shutter speed ranged from 1/10th of a second to 6 seconds.

Dave Mills
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Hi Matt, If you didn't tell me what the cars were used for I would think it was the edge of a junkyard.
A very different view of a lakefront using the wrecks skillfully as a leading line. Nice light and an excellent photojournalistic piece which could create some issues regarding their use..

Jim Buescher
08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Matt, Somebody tried the same thing in one of our rivers here in Ohio that now runs through a national park. It was a feeble attempt IMO as the cars have all eroded and washed away except for some heavier parts such as bumpers and axles, also some sharp twisted pieces of metal remain snagged downstream waiting for the next kayak or canoe to come along. The nice light brings out the color and texture of the rust well. A good environmental image of how not to control erosion.

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey Matt,
Agree that this tells a great story.....also a pretty sad one! I can't imagine that rusting cars make the water too good! You did a very nice job using the cars as a leading line and the HDR work is great!

Judy Howle
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Great HDR image Matt. The lighting and colors are just right. I like the water movement also. I agree it's a very un-scenic way to stop erosion, but makes for good photos.

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2010, 03:28 AM
nice HDR work as mentioned and a very interesting back-story and method of stopping erosion. I like the rustic colours throughout

Ron Bernstein
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I agree with all the posters who praise this image, but it left me wondering if I saw others from this shoot, whether this is the one I would have chosen.
Specifically, I wonder if any others told the story more clearly that this was a levee of junked cars. That isn't to say I don't like this one; I do!!!
Congrats, Matt!

Matt Lerer
09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Hey Ron,

The reason I chose this angle was because of the multi-colored car...it had the most character of them all I believe. I also wanted to have the slight turn to the left of the river on the left side of the picture and it was impossible the futher up the car line I went. It was a difficult shot to get with the water running at about 3000 CFS (cubic feet per second). I actually had my tripod set up in about 2 1/2 feet of water and did all I could to place my weight on it to keep it secure for the 7 shots. A shoot I hope to repeat sometime!

Ron Bernstein
09-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I understand and applaud your reasoning, Matt. It sounds like a very tough shoot. After I wrote my post and before I saw your reply,
it came to me what I wanted to see: a pano, in this light. Based on your reply, I guess that's not possible. Maybe you'll just have to rent a plane
or hot air balloon! Seriously, now that we see how challenging the shoot was, you should be all the more proud of your result!