PDA

View Full Version : Radiance

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Fairchild Tropical gardens Macro Lilly this am.
Thks for looking.
Don
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ) 16.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 100
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Focal Length 100.0mm
Image Size 5184x3456
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -2/3

Don Lacy
08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Wow that is one bright Water Lilly on my monitor, I need to wear sunglasses just to look at it:D I think I would crop it a tad tighter and tone down the purples just a bit not much because you want to keep the impact of the color.

Julie Kenward
08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I also vote for a tighter crop. This is one of those images that either needs to be all included or really cut back so it doesn't look like you just happened to miss the ends - which I know you didn't do! There are a few spots where the magenta/purple loses a tiny bit of detail so I would take another look at that color channel. I love the tilt here and the DOF is beautiful. You really caught the intensity of this flower and showed it off so well!

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Thks, i actually cropped it this way intentionally, and yes the leaves are damaged, note the one at the bottom is also, however i captured it tight, and left it out. These guys are getting cooked in the sun daily! Thks for the suggestions!
Don

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey Don,
Yep.....when those edges get cooked....going closet/tighter is the only solution. You may have been better going with the 200 and putting the central part on the L ROT position.....cutting all the petals more agressively and keeping the great colors and center. Play around w/ a bit of green in color balance or even some cyan in the red channel. Not too much though as the color is what really grabs you!

Anita Bower
09-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Water lilies do seem to glow, and you captured that glow in this image. Beautiful colors. The ULC bothers me--a bit of a distraction. Your title says it all.

AJ Witt
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Very nice Sir Don!!!! Wish I lived closer to some tropical gardens to go practice some of this stuff!!!