Flash = Off
Focal Length = 300mm
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 450mm
Lens = Nikkor 70-300mm F:4,5-5,6 VR
HH

It was a windy day, ant it took a lot of chasing and patience to finally get a photo of this beauty...

Allen Sparks
08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Wonderful focus wing tip to wing tip! great clarity. the stems in the background don't bother too much since they are a repeat of the perch and don't connect with the subject but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on that. Very nice shot...

Don Lacy
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Wonderful color and detail and I really like the placement of the BF in the frame. Not a big fan of the stems in the BG or the ones next to the BF but since the BF is colorful and vibrant it pulls my eye back to it.

Julie Kenward
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I also would lose the lighter stems at the base of the image - they aren't pertinent to the main subject and they are quite a bit lighter so our eyes are being tugged away from the butterfly.

As for that beautiful creature - your patience really paid off, Adrian! Crisp and colorful and a beautiful pose! I really want to reach up and touch those little hairs on his back and abdomen. Nicely done!

Cheryl Flory
08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
wonderful sharp details and color in the bf. great job.

Steve Maxson
08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Love the sharpness and detail on the butterfly, Adrian. Here's another vote for cleaning up the distracting background stems. :)

Adrian David
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Thank you very much!
I will try to clean the BG stems, but I'm not shore if I can do it ,without any visible artifacts. That's why I didn't try it from the beginning...

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Adrian,
Interesting discuasion here. I think that you nailed the swallowtail and I don't mind the darker repeating stems. You may also try just toning down the the brighter yellows(mostly near the lower frame edge).....that may also work to just minimize their impact.

Anita Bower
09-01-2010, 06:19 AM
A beautiful image of a beautiful butterfly. The angle is just right to show off the colors and markings on the wings. Really nice composition. You can probably clone out the light area in LLC. I understand about not feeling up to eliminating all the light stems. Some people are really good at it, but I'm not one of them. Perhaps darkening them a bit with the brush tool using a green color and low opacity would do the trick. They are not a big problem for me. The image seems just a bit dark to me. Very nicely done.