PDA

View Full Version : Mapungubwe Landscape

Peter Kes
08-28-2010, 05:29 PM
In the far north of South Africa, an ancient settlement reminds us of SA's gold trade. As early as 900AD settlers traded gold and other precious metals with China tradesmen. From the Mapungubwe hills. Early morning with some rainy clouds.

Details:
<table class="gbDataTable"><tbody><tr><td class="gbEven">Make </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Canon </td> <td class="gbEven"> Model </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Canon EOS-1D Mark IV </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Aperture Value </td> <td class="gbOdd"> f/8 </td> <td class="gbEven"> Color Space </td> <td class="gbOdd"> sRGB </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Exposure Bias Value </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 0 EV </td> <td class="gbEven"> Exposure Program </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Manual </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Flash </td> <td class="gbOdd"> No Flash </td> <td class="gbEven"> Focal Length </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 28 mm </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> ISO </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 800 </td> <td class="gbEven"> Metering Mode </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Multi-Segment </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Shutter Speed Value </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 1/1250 sec </td> <td class="gbEven"> Date/Time </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Wed 06 Jan 2010 07:16:57 AM CET</td></tr></tbody></table>

Dave Mills
08-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi Peter, I like your concept with the rocks in a triangular position. Very interesting sky that I might crop a small bit off.
A few things I would have preferred. A bit more room on the left and more of a base on the far rt rock. I don't feel the cut branches in the foreground are really helping the image.
I would have to be at this location myself to see if manuevering to a different angle might eliminate some issues I mentioned.
The image shows me your thinking about how to create an interesting comp out of subjects some would overlook. Good going..

Peter Kes
08-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Dave thanks for your thoughts. This photograph was taken on a walk up a hill, similar to the rock photographed. My current position is about 150ft above the plain below, sort of where the rock face starts. It was overcast and there were some rays of sun coming through. That was why the image was taken 'now'. In the first post I cropped out a nasty piece of dead wood: I took some time to get it out in the repost. I don't have canvas left or right, I cropped just from the bottom in the OP and from top in this post. Will this work better ?

Robert Amoruso
08-29-2010, 07:26 AM
This looks better Peter seeing more of the branches.

Peter Kes
08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
txs Robert & Dave. Appreciate your feedback.

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey Peter,
Dave had many sentiments that I did....and looking at the 2, I do prefer the re-post. I do think that if the sky was interesting above what you captured.....I may have gone more for it....w/less base above the FG rock......as the sky had quite a bit of drama! Looking at that....you may want to crop the OP to more of a pano......further emphasizing the buttes and sky. It's always tough to compose with limited vantage points....a luxury we often have here in the states!

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2010, 04:53 AM
still need to visit this place in my proverbial back-yard (okay, well, 600km from my house)...nice perspective here Peter but I would have loved a foreground anchor here