Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/200"
F10
ISO:200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3
HH

I shot this back in June and have been going back and forth on whether or not to keep it because of the OOF areas. This is a very small species so at F10 more of it should be in focus but it was a breezy day. The perch was just solid enough to keep the front part from moving too much but the wings were literally flapping in the breeze.

I cloned out some flash highlights from the eye and legs and painted in the antenna. I just noticed a light area between the wings that I should have blended better so I'm aware of that.

It is a keeper?

Connie Mier
08-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Ken, I love this perspective of the dragonfly, and like the perch very much. The head appears very sharp, a difficult thing to accomplish. I might slice off the bottom oof part of the plant. The other thing that I think is tricky with these guys is the wing position. The wings look a bit "awkward" here. Beautiful bg too.

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey Ken,
Hmmmmm....tough one....but I'd delete. Not because of the OOF wings.....the merge with the tail is doing it in for me. A sliver more of room there makes it a keeper IMO.....but let's see what others chime in.

Allen Sparks
08-30-2010, 09:57 PM
I'd have to say delete. The head is the only portion really in focus and my guess this is a sizeable crop given the look of the thorax (plus I know how small this dragonfly really is!). A close call but one I would delete. And let me say I have been trying for a good shot of this species for 2 years now and just cannot get it!!!

Ken Childs
08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Allen, the difficulty in getting good shots of this tiny species is probably why I was pushing the issue. An image of this quality of any other species would have been deleted right away.