PDA

View Full Version : Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Sunrise

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Created yesterday at MINWR while photographing birds.

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24-105mm @ 60mm
1/320 sec, f/22
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
AEB comp: -1 1/3
ISO: 200

One image from an HDR series. I ended up liking my single image tweak with Shadows/Highlights to get the tonal look in the clouds that I previsualized.

Anyways, the cloud movement cased the images not to register well so went this route.

Full frame with horizon in center due to perfect reflection in water.

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Don't agree Peter. The reflection is what the image is about. But thanks for your thoughts.:)

Dave Mills
08-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Robert, I like the OP with the mirrored reflection. IMO In this case the small bird is not the center of interest due to it's minor interest compared to the overall.(nice addition though) The strong silouette is the anchor dividing the reflection and the sky and works nicely.
If I had not seen Robert's image(without the reflection) I would have also liked Peter's example which does work.

Robert Amoruso
08-29-2010, 07:25 AM
If I had not seen Robert's image(without the reflection) I would have also liked Peter's example which does work.

Dave, compositionally Peter's repost may work but the loss of the blue at the bottom lessens the impact and unbalances the image. Thanks for your thoughts.:D

Dave Mills
08-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Robert, by the way Happy Anniversary!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey Robert,
Just go home....so late to the party! Interesting discussion going on here with many valid points. I do like your OP....but compositionaaly the mirror image isn't one of my favorites.....and I do think it needs a bit OF CW rotation (I was looking at the bright water line and base?). If I was going to go pano....it would be much tighter thatn Peter....just into the blue on the LHS above hwere he cropped.....putting the bird in the LRC. This keeps some of the blue balance.....yet makes more of a 1/3-2/3 comp. Many possibilities and nice luxury to have! I'll beat Nick to it....and say this would also make an interesting B&W too.....so just another option for the same image......can't say that often!

Robert Amoruso
08-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Roman,

Interesting thoughts from you and as usual we think a lot alike. I have an extreme pano that just concentrates on the lower line of clouds and B&W versions too. The pano posted here though maintains a 1/2 - 1/2 distribution of the reflection.

I see the CW rotation but not sure if not optical illusion. I carefully leveled the camera for this but if drawing a line to the far shore, I am at an angle to it, not dead on. I also lined up the eye on the bird with the reflection and that is a true vertical.

Robert Amoruso
08-30-2010, 07:48 AM
And a crop like what you are proposing Roman which I like better than Peter's (sorry Peter I did not mean to be so blunt :o - I am cool with it :cool:).

But not too sure if this would be my favorite crop - I like the pano crop above better.