PDA

View Full Version : Sol Duc Falls, Olympic NP

Ron Bernstein
08-27-2010, 10:13 PM
f 16 @ 1/1.7 sec ISO 200 Nikon D3, Nikkor 16-35 @ 24 mm; Hoya HD polarizer, gitzo tripood, RRS head. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Ron,

Nice composition. I like the progression of the water flow in the image and how it dumps out behind that well-defined tree leaves which you include just the right amount of.

Dave Mills
08-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi Ron, Well exposed along with even lighting. I like the foreground rocks acting as a lead into the falls.
A few observations. The large rock is placed almost in the center and I would of tried to angle myself(if possible) so I had less of the rear and more of the front.
The water flow has some detail but my preference(some subjectivity here) is more detail(in this case a faster SS)

Ron Bernstein
08-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. Dave's brought a smile to my face, since if I had moved at all to the right or forward, you would have seen my body careering
off the rocks in a close and personal experience with the falls! Sometimes it's just that way! Thanks again!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey Ron,
Late to the party.....but know the falls well! Since moving isn't an option.....(I have been to the base.....don't ask or my wife will up the life insurance!) I think going with the faster SS was the right choice.....why?.....depending on the rate of flow....sometimes when water levels are too great....the flow can look to milky and detailless......gettiing the faster SS allows more definition in the flow. I have photographed many falls acros the US....and will tell you that there is no ideal SS....the flow will dictate the best course of action....even on the same fall at different times of the year!.....so I highly recomend bracketing with SS! Debate which flow you prefer best when you get home!

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2010, 04:52 AM
some good critiques and suggestions given...

I understand the limitations of taking these shots :)

Having not experimented much with this, I am interested to learn how much "detail" Roman and Dave want to see in the water? Could you link an example guys?