PDA

View Full Version : Sandbar Baby

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Most of the JBWR Nickerson IPT group was on a very cooperative family of American Oystercatchers actively feeding along the edge of the surf. We worked them for about 15 minutes. Just before the group flew off this handsome bird of the year posed on the edge of a sand ridge for a few moments.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/160 sec. set manually.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

annmpacheco
08-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Aahhhh... what a beauty, I think I'll pack my bags migrating a bit South to my first JBWR visit... I'm a very new newbie bird photographer with my first digital camera 7D and my 100-400 lens... no tripod, no big gun glass, no experience, but... I've got a genuine grit to follow some driving passion that finally surfaced last February on my first Everglade visit. "Birds, lovely birds, ohmy!" So I'm stepping into some unknown territory and I want to thank you Art and this wonderful bird photographers community. I received your books and also some of your files this week. Thank you for your passion and the company of guidance you keep. I'm on my way...

Grace Scalzo
08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
This is lovely, clean and interesting. There's one tiny spot right where the brown of his wing begins that I would remove. Love the position of the feet.

Bill Dix
08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Handsome lad indeed, and very cooperative to pose with such a great background. Beautifully exposed and composed (as usual). Only nit would be to evict the little spot on the right side of the white breast.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Good catch on the black spot. It was actually an inadvertent clone stamp mark and it was not on the ORIG! So thanks a ton to Grace and Bill. And yes, my eyes lit up when I saw those ridges on the edge of the sand bar.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Aahhhh... what a beauty, I think I'll pack my bags migrating a bit South to my first JBWR visit... I'm a very new newbie bird photographer with my first digital camera 7D and my 100-400 lens... no tripod, no big gun glass, no experience, but... I've got a genuine grit to follow some driving passion that finally surfaced last February on my first Everglade visit. "Birds, lovely birds, ohmy!" So I'm stepping into some unknown territory and I want to thank you Art and this wonderful bird photographers community. I received your books and also some of your files this week. Thank you for your passion and the company of guidance you keep. I'm on my way...

Hi Ann (?), YAW. Where are you from? Passion and brains and skill and the willingness to work hard are much more important to bird photography success than a big lens. Check out what Daniel Cadiuex and Aidan Briggs have done with "only" the 100-400. And best of luck on your trip.

MohsenVahedipour
08-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Hi,
Great Low angle capture with excellent detail & BG.

Ofer Levy
08-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Excellent exposure control, sharp with great detail. I think there is way too much empty space at the top and would crop tighter as in this re-post.

christopher galeski
08-28-2010, 04:24 AM
very nice lighting,love the sand ridge,good exposure,thanks.

Arthur Morris
08-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Thanks Ofer. I like that crop too. Probably a bit more than mine :)

Jim Neiger
08-28-2010, 10:45 AM
NIce one, Artie! I like the fg and bg and pose of the bird. Maybe a little crop from the top would be good.

denise ippolito
08-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Artie, Really nice details and pose. The ledge is special. I think somewhere in between for the crop would be good.

Lloyd Spitalnik
08-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi Artie. The dune ledge looks like a painting. Awesome! Ofer's crop is a bit too tight for my tastes. Have to agree with Denise, somewhere in between.

Stu Bowie
08-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Super low perspective Artie, and I like the pose. You have exposed this nicely, with sharp detail showing all over.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2010, 05:31 AM
[QUOTE=Lloyd Spitalnik;560779]Hi Artie. The dune ledge looks like a painting. Awesome! Ofer's crop is a bit too tight for my tastes. Have to agree with Denise, somewhere in between.[/QUOTE

Thanks Lloyd and Denise, The repost is for you guys but I like it too! Are they letting any water out of the East Pond or are they just gonna let the late SEPT birds fend for themselves.... In the old days when the water levels were properly maintained we had some great chances with juvie white-rumpeds, long-billed dows, and Hudsonian Godwits last week of SEPT thru the first week of OCT and beyond....

Arthur Morris
08-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Super low perspective Artie, and I like the pose. You have exposed this nicely, with sharp detail showing all over.

Hey Stuart, Thanks. But the low perspective is due mostly to the length of the lens and the multiplier effect of the camera... The sand ridge was less than a foot high but with long glass, the angle of declination to the bird is much less than with shorter lenses (and a constant subject size); I was standing at full height behind my tripod when I created this image.

Stu Bowie
08-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback Artie.

Michael Zajac
08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I like the pose and eye contact.Good sharpness and exposure. Nice clean image.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey Stu, You are most welcome. It is one of the reasons that I love long lenses!

denise ippolito
08-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I like the repost:)

Nico Steenberg
08-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Also like the shooting angle, makes a big difference. Subject is well exposed and sharp. Like the eye contact and DOF.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Artie, definitely liked the repost more. Also wondering if moving the bird slightly to the right in the frame will make it better. I think the sand at his feet is really making this one special. Great whites and blacks as usual.