PDA

View Full Version : Holy Snapper

Art Kornienko
08-27-2010, 07:30 PM
20D, 300 F4L IS + Kenko 1.4, F5.6, 1/250, 800 ISO

http://artfx.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v9/p784664514-5.jpg

Steve Maxson
08-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Good thinking to use a telephoto + extender here, Art, to give you some working distance because that head can very rapidly shoot out from under the shell a looong ways (about equal to the length of the shell). :) Looks like you nailed the focus right on the eyes. The DOF is OK, as presented, though you might have been able to use f/8 to sharpen the nostrils a little more. There is a slight bluish cast to the image. I don't find this objectionable, but you might experiment with adding a little yellow to warm it up.

Jerry van Dijk
08-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Art, nice use of DOF for a creative shot! I do feel there's a bit too much OOF in the frame and would consider a tighter crop around the focussed area.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Different and beautiful. The eyes being tack sharp make a good strong impression. Might wish for a tad more DOF to keep the nose sharp too.
Lovely image overall !

Ken Childs
08-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree with Jerry that tighter crop would be the way to go. The OOF nose is troublesome, at least to me. Every time I look at the pic my eye immediately goes to the blurry nose. I bet you could selectively sharpen it which might help somewhat. Keep in mind for the next time out that using a smaller aperture would be the way to go. Maybe a small amount of fill-flash could be used to keep up the SS. Steve mentioned the blue cast so I applied a warming filter in PS and I thought it looked better.

Julie Kenward
08-28-2010, 03:12 PM
There are actually several tiny distractions here - all of them light/shiny around the face and head area. I'd try cloning or painting over them to eliminate or diminish them. I also think going vertical with the crop - leaving as much on the right side that you have on the left should do it. It's too bad about the nose...that would really have taken this one over the top! Nicely seen, Art...very interesting look at this little guy!

Connie Mier
08-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Beautiful perspective, the textures are awesome and well captured. I agree with a bit more dof, would like to see the nose in focus more.

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey Art,
Can't add much to the excellent advice given above. I do think implementing some of those tweaks will only help this one overall!

Cheryl Flory
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
great snapper shot. I might try some selective adjustment to darken the blacks or dark neutrals in the eyes to make them stand out a bit more and try to get rid of some of the reflective haze on the corneas.