View Full Version : Cowlitz Chimenys

Ron Tnompson
08-27-2010, 02:40 PM
These are the Cowlitz Chimneys as seen from from Owyhigh Lakes. MRNP
EOS 40D
f11 @ 1/60
ISO 100
EF 28-135 @ 30mm
I left the trail head at 4:00 in a race with the sunrise losing by only minutes. Not having been there before looking for a place to set up and start this is what I came home with.
C&C much appreciated as I have learn quite alot form the people of this forum. Thanks Ron Thompson

Dave Mills
08-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi Ron, Good basic comp with soft late light. I can see some detail in the trees but a GND might have brought more out( a good part of the image is dark)
In this case I would have liked to have seen more of the shoreline or none at all. There isn't extensive merging of the grass on the reflection but a slightly different angle would of give you a bit more separation...

Nick Palmieri
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM
In addition to Dave's suggestions an HDR or pseudo-HDR could be made by exposing one for the sky, one for the mountains, and one for the dark areas, then blending them. It looks to me like there is a lot of noise in the dark areas, so I would bet you tried to pull them out a bit in processing... If you don't bring your ND filter, try AEB your landscapes so you are 100% sure you have all the tonal data. It's a cool mountain and great reflections.

Ron Tnompson
08-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Nick and Dave thanks for al the advice will try this next time. It is nice I live so close to the Park as this gives me many oppurtunitys to im prove and shoot again.
thanks Ron Thompson

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Ron,

Good suggestions above and I will offer a few.

Personally, I will try to stay away from such scenes where a large portion like this is in shadow. With no clouds, you could ahve reduced the sky to just above the peaks. I agree with Dave's comment on moving to eliminate the merge with the grass and reflection. Interesting looking peaks and worth a visit in the future if possible.

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey Ron,
Just got back from vacation.....can't add much to the above comments......I agree with the FG addition 100%......but take a peek at Kaushiks post directly below......he blended manually 2 exposures......one for the sky and one for the FG......if you don't have the splits.....this is a very viable option and given your tree line.....a relatively easy blend! Another option to keep in mind for your next visit!