PDA

View Full Version : Short-billed Dowitcher

Bill Dix
08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
From Jamaica Bay last week. C&C appreciated.

D90 | 80-400 VR @ 400mm. | ISO 800 | 1/1250s @ f/7.1 | -0.3 EV | HH

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey Bill, Sorry that I missed you there. Wow, this one is great: soft light and everything square to the imaging sensor but for the head that is slightly and perfectly turned toward us just a bit. And some sweet BKGR colors. You did well to get so close with the 80-400. Were you on a tripod? Seated?

BTW, this is a moderately worn juvenile. Ah, almost forgot; just eyeballing it it looks as if it might look better with a bit of CCW rotation (even if it technically might not need it if you get my drift...)

Bill Dix
08-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Bill, Sorry that I missed you there. Wow, this one is great: soft light and everything square to the imaging sensor but for the head that is slightly and perfectly turned toward us just a bit. And some sweet BKGR colors. You did well to get so close with the 80-400. Were you on a tripod? Seated?

BTW, this is a moderately worn juvenile. Ah, almost forgot; just eyeballing it it looks as if it might look better with a bit of CCW rotation (even if it technically might not need it if you get my drift...)
Thank you Artie. I think possibly you were there the day before I was -- in any case hopefully I'll run into you there sometime. This was handheld, lying down braced with my elbows in the swan muck. Judging from the reflection I'm not sure this technically needs rotation, but it might make the ripples look more horizontal. I'll give it a try.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
IAC, well done! Yes, the--hold on-I will be right back. Jeez, I could not find anything to justify the need for a bit of CCW rotation so I just rotated it .5 degrees CCW because as presented it looks as if the bird is gonna fall over frontwards :)

Whaddya think?

Bill Dix
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I see your point. Wouldn't want him to fall over. Thanks for taking the time.:)

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
You are most welcome sir. Interesting to note that the only non-NJ spot in Bill Boyle's great bird finding guide to New Jersey is my beloved JBWR :)

wendell westfall
08-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Bill, your image is absolutely beautiful. I like the rich, contrasty look of the feathers -- and the bird "pops" too.

denise ippolito
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Bill, I really like the soft water tones, they compliment the bird nicely. Sharp and well exposed. Fantastic!

Katie Rupp
08-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Bill,
Very nicely done for all the reasons already stated and I love the foot just peaking out.
Katie

Jim Neiger
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Bill, I like the pose with raised foot, soft light, low angle, and nice colors in the water.

Bill Dix
08-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Wendell, Denise, Katie and Jim: Thank you for the kind words.

Lloyd Spitalnik
08-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Bill,
I'd like to see the bird a little higher in the frame to account for the"virtual legs". It's a small nit for a a perfectly exposed image. Being a Jamaica Bay regular, I appreciate you getting into the muck on your elbows. You're a brave man :)

christopher galeski
08-29-2010, 04:42 AM
very nice Bill,nice colors,nice pose.thanks.