PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying glass

Kaushik Balakumar
08-27-2010, 12:34 PM
The small water droplet acting as a magnifying glass.

Techs:
Nikon D300, Tamron 180mm macro, tripod
f/13, ISO200, focus stacked from 2 images - one for the drop & one for the details inside the drop.

Critiques welcome.

Valerio Tarone
08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Kaushik, compliments, a nice subject, well balanced in compo and colors, dof.

Jay Sheinfield
08-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Very nice image. Precise focus is very effective. If it were mine I would try a CW rotation as the image feels like it leans to the left.

jay

Ken Childs
08-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Great concept and execution, Kaushik!
I was actually thing a slight CCW rotation would be the way to go. Whatever you do, consider cloning or cropping out the yellow in the ULC. The whites seem a but muddy so maybe a curves or levels adjustment could brightening them up.

Anita Bower
08-28-2010, 05:46 AM
What a wonderful idea! Using two images to capture this worked well. I like the simplicity of only two colors. I think the yellow of the center of the flower, and the whites, would benefit from brightening up. Nicely done!

Jerry van Dijk
08-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Creative thinking, Kaushik! I second the suggestion for a CCW rotation, putting the drop more off-center and closer to the LL ROT hotspot.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I shall take a re-look at brightening up the centre. Good point about the yellow bit in the ULC !

Julie Kenward
08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Kaushik, great advice given here! You managed to make a beautiful image by thinking ahead and planning out the results. One other very minor detail - there's a small area inside the water drop that is rather brownish - you might see if you could colorize or lighten that area so the entire droplet held the same tones/color. Lovely and cheerful image!

Connie Mier
08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
This is very nice, I like your creativity here. I wonder about the dof on the flower. I know you are emphasizing the droplet but I wonder if more dof on the flower would work. the oof seems to take the image over a bit. But wow, what a great idea and imagine the possibilities!

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey Kaushik,
Great idea and well executed! I would paly with the brightness balance....as presented seems a bit too bright on the drop....or as others mentioned too dark on the rest......so tweaking that should really make this one shine!

Adrian David
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Nice finding! You've managed well the focus on the details in the droplet.