PDA

View Full Version : Robber Fly (I believe)

Ian Cassell
08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I think this is a robber fly. Please feel free to correct me!

Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 430 EX + Lumiquest Softbox on-camera

1/250 sec f/16 ISO 500

It looks like his wings have had a hard time of it ...

BTW == We have a thread here for Bird ID and there is also an excellent bird ID thread on birdforum.net . Does anyone know a place on the web that has an insect ID thread?

Ken Childs
08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey Ian, it doesn't look scary enough to be a Robber Fly but I could be wrong. The best place I know of for bug ID's is http://bugguide.net

This fly does look like it's nearing the end of its life but I still like it as a subject and the comp looks good. Consider evening out the URC and see if you can tone down the bright areas on the perch. Fixing those 2 things should take this one up a notch.

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Hey Ian,
Agree with Ken on this one....great advice and sorry I can't offer a ID place. I was going to suggest a tighter crop.....but I'm taking a break from the tool today.......so you get a free pass;)!
Tweak those 2 things Ken mentioned.....this one will work really well!

Steve Maxson
08-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Ian. Nice sharpness and well composed. Ken has a couple good suggestions above. I'm pretty certain this is not a robber fly. The body shape and mouthparts are not typical of robber flies (even though robber flies come in quite a variety of shapes and sizes). Some of the Bee Flies (Family Bombylidae) have long mouthparts that look like this. I agree with Ken that BugGuide.net may be your best hope for a more definitive ID. :)

Kaushik Balakumar
08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Tack sharp with excellent DOF !

Ian Cassell
08-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for critique, everyone. I dunno, Ken, that proboscis looks pretty scary to me :) I submitted it to bugguide.net -- I'll report back.

Ian Cassell
08-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Looks like the guys on bugguide.net nailed it. It looks like a bee fly.

Here's the link to the discussion

http://bugguide.net/node/view/229679

Julie Kenward
08-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Interesting...I also would have bet it was a Robber fly. Since Roman's not using his crop tool today I'll do it - take a small slice off the bottom of the frame and get that bud closer to the ROT's position - I think it will make the image even stronger.

I love how torn up the insect is...you can sure tell this is late summer!