PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies Mating

Roman Kurywczak
08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Still down in S Miami cooking......paid a visit to one of my favorite places down in SE Florida "Butterfly World" w fellow BPN'er Don Hamilton Jr. I expect to see a lot more good things from him in the near future....because he lives about 15 minutes away and bought a yearly pass! As I always try to stress.....BG's are key! This wasn't my favorite location.....and as many of you know.....I tend not to stray too far from f32!........couldn't pass this up so tried to get perfectly parallel to them. Antenna falloff is expected at the shallow DOF's.....but I am quite pleased with this one.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f7.1 and 1/250 sec. and ISO 400 with the MT24 twin lights at -1. I did do a bunch at f29.....BG was far enough away that it was OK....just wanted to share the shallow DOF one! Flipped as they were hanging upside down and leaf cropped off the left.

Norm Dulak
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Roman:

Another beautiful composition with rich colors, excellent sharpness except for the antenna termini and the bottom of the left leaf, and a pleasing background. It does seem that if you had stuck closer to f/32, the DOF problems would have gone away, but I like the effect you've created here anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

Norm

Roman Kurywczak
08-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey Norn,
That is why I did do this same comp at f25 or 29.....it does introduce BG distractions though....although not that bad. Hopefully I can get that one processed b4 I leave Miami....but time is short. Would be a good example of choices to make in the field. Wings open.....no way I go this wide open.....although Daniels last few posts may convince me otherwise!

Art Kornienko
08-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I like this one just the way it is Roman, sure is an eye popper, colours and lighting put it over the top.

Julie Kenward
08-26-2010, 07:31 PM
I love it, I love it, I love it! Dang! Super poses and I love the DOF - I think it's sharp where it needs to be and I wouldn't change a thing. This is perfectly executed IMO. Feel free to send your RAW file to me so I can claim this one s my own. :D:D:D

Steve Maxson
08-27-2010, 09:42 AM
A striking image, Roman! Great job of getting both in the plane of focus. Perfect DOF (IMO) giving you a clean background. I think I would have left them upside down. To my eye, they look just a teeny bit "off" this way, in terms of their poses (particularly the one on the right), but I probably wouldn't have known why if you hadn't mentioned that you'd flipped them. :) :)

Jonathan Ashton
08-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Beautiful shot Roman but why invert the image? It looks unnatural to me - I have downloaded and flipped it and it looks a real gem, I appreciate it is your image to present how you wish so fell free to ignore:) my little outburst!

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks all! No problems Jonathan! I only flipped it because I felt some would have issues with it upside down! See what happens when you mess with nature! I actually also like it better with a CCW rotation as a vert! I will put it back the way they actually were for most presentations.....fortunately an easy fix! Thanks again!

Ken Childs
08-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Roman, this is fantastic as is but I agree that because it's been flipped, something just doesn't feel right. If it were mine, I probably would have messed with the antennae. :)

Connie Mier
08-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Beautiful colors that pop! I too wondered about the upside down choice and found the right butterfly's position to be confusing, but very intriguing. Lovely bg and you can't go wrong with f32!

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Roman, that was a lot of fun...I really like this image flipped, like you presented! Very sharp, love the eye contact, and the great "clean" BKG! Thks for all of the tips! Look forward to chasing these critters, in the hunt for the "perfect BKG!:D
Don