PDA

View Full Version : Lens Strap Help needed

Gene C. Callison
08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm looking for a more comfortable lens strap to carry my Canon 500 F4 L is and 1D4 camera body. The strap would give intermittent support for carry and using the lens when I hand hold it. I called Optech, they didn't have very much to offer other than their pro strap and and a long set of connectors with a 3/8 wide strap connecting to the lens. The included Canon strap is 5/8 wide.
About the only other alternative seems to be the R strap, namely the RS7. Can anyone recommend the R strap and if not are there any alternatives. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gene

James Prudente
08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Security_Strap.html

I have one of these and it is great, easy to use and very secure.

Jim

Richard Mc Donald
08-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Gene, for 6 years with my 500 f/4.0 I used the Optech Pro Strap quit happily.

I now use one with my 800 f/5.6. If you order get the Pro strap and not the loop.

Richard

Gene C. Callison
08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Security_Strap.html

I have one of these and it is great, easy to use and very secure.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have decided to go with the Optech.

Gene

Gene C. Callison
08-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Gene, for 6 years with my 500 f/4.0 I used the Optech Pro Strap quit happily.

I now use one with my 800 f/5.6. If you order get the Pro strap and not the loop.

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I have ordered the Optech pro strap with the 3/8" connectors. I was not entirely confident about the strength of the Optech strap but I'm over it now. I also like the versatility that Optech offers.

Gene

Charles Glatzer
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Black Rapid RS-4 w/ Kirk Photo 1 in QR clamp

Chas

Richard Mc Donald
08-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Richard,

I have ordered the Optech pro strap with the 3/8" connectors. I was not entirely confident about the strength of the Optech strap but I'm over it now. I also like the versatility that Optech offers.

Gene

I should have mentioned that I had the Pro attached to the camera and not the 500. With the 800 it's on the lens because I think there's far too much weight/strain when combined with the 1D MKIV.

Enjoy.

Richard

Richard Mc Donald
08-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Chas

The RS-4 looks interesting Chas, how does it operate with heaver lenses?

Richard

Paul Cooper
08-28-2010, 12:56 AM
I use the Black Rapid, but my D300s w/ 300 f/4 took a spill last night. Not the straps fault, the Manfrotto Quick release plate I had it attached to failed. Now I have to rethink things.

Grant Eldridge
08-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Chas

Hi Chas,

Are you able to bring the camera and len up to your eye with this setup? Reason I ask is I find a lot of straps a bit short and when slung across the body there is not enough room to get your eye behind the eyepiece. But I do like the idea of attaching to the tripod collar plate, just seems a little more secure than the two strap rings on the lens body (Nikon 600).

Grant

Charles Glatzer
09-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Grant,

I can swing a 500 to my eye without problem. The newer RS-7 I find to be better for my purpose w/o the bells and whistles of the RS-4.

Chas

Roy Churchill
09-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way of fitting a Black Rapid type strap to the lens strap anchor points?

Chris Sloan
09-02-2010, 09:38 AM
I use the Black Rapid for carrying around my Canon 300/2.8 on 7D. I have spent all day in the field with that setup. HOWEVER, if you use that strap, I STRONGLY suggest that you use a carribiner in addition to the clip that the strap provides for connecting to the camera. On three different occasions, the camera has popped out of that clip and on one of those the result was $400 worth of damage to the lens. The carribiner prevents that, and still allows for easy removal.

Gene C. Callison
09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I use the Black Rapid for carrying around my Canon 300/2.8 on 7D. I have spent all day in the field with that setup. HOWEVER, if you use that strap, I STRONGLY suggest that you use a carribiner in addition to the clip that the strap provides for connecting to the camera. On three different occasions, the camera has popped out of that clip and on one of those the result was $400 worth of damage to the lens. The carribiner prevents that, and still allows for easy removal.

Hi Chris,

Now that is distressing. I sure wish I could see your setup and how you are using the carabiner. I am getting my RS7 in the mail today perhaps I can see how it is added to the setup. I'm a bit wary after hearing about your non intentional disconnects.

Gene

Chris Sloan
09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
The problem is simply that the clip isn't very robust and is somewhat loose, allowing for some side to side slippage and so occasionally it can pop off of the loop that it mounts to on the camera. All I did was take a standard carribiner and clip it in the same spot between the camera and the strap.

It's definitely a design flaw, or was at the time anyway. I've had mine for a year and a half or so, so they may have improved the design since then. With that issue corrected, I am quite happy with the strap.

Gene C. Callison
09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Grant,

I can swing a 500 to my eye without problem. The newer RS-7 I find to be better for my purpose w/o the bells and whistles of the RS-4.

Chas

Charles,

Are you still going to use the RS7 with the Kirk clamp?

Gene

William Malacarne
09-02-2010, 02:45 PM
I have 2 of the RS-4's, which I have had since early 2009. Mine have these type of fasteners.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/connectr/
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fastenr/

This past 2 weeks I have had the end you adjust come out of the locking clip. Luckily I seldom let a large lens hang freely.
I have since taken both straps to an upholstery shop and they sewed the straps so they will not come out. I will

Bill
not be able to adjust them anymore but that will not be a problem for me.

David Billingsley
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I should have mentioned that I had the Pro attached to the camera and not the 500. With the 800 it's on the lens because I think there's far too much weight/strain when combined with the 1D MKIV.

Enjoy.

Richard

I question if the 500 F4 isn't also too heavy to carry via 1D4 strap - I never have.

My vote goes with Charles Glatzer (Black Rapid RS-4 w/ Kirk Photo 1 in QR clamp). I use the same setup and have found it is by far the most comfortable way to carry the big and heavy combos. Black Rapid now has a new "D-ring" connector that is one-piece and rock solid. They don't recommend the old style "D-ring" connectors for setup bigger than 300mm - although I used one with no problems until upgrading to the new connectors.

dave b.

Gene C. Callison
09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
I question if the 500 F4 isn't also too heavy to carry via 1D4 strap - I never have.

My vote goes with Charles Glatzer (Black Rapid RS-4 w/ Kirk Photo 1 in QR clamp). I use the same setup and have found it is by far the most comfortable way to carry the big and heavy combos. Black Rapid now has a new "D-ring" connector that is one-piece and rock solid. They don't recommend the old style "D-ring" connectors for setup bigger than 300mm - although I used one with no problems until upgrading to the new connectors.

dave b.

Dave,

I was wondering about the need for the Kirk clamp, seems to me it just adds more weight and makes the rig a bit clunkier to handle. I could be off base here though since I have never tried it. Many of the new arca compatible lens plates have a drilled and tapped 1/4-20 hole, why not just use that?

My RS7 arrived yesterday, I like what I see! Nice heavy duty fittings, a new screw lock carabiner and heavy duty D ring. It felt really good when I tried it in my den anyway.

Gene

David Billingsley
09-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Gene,

The Kirk 1" QR clamp is rather small and makes it very easy to remove and replace the strap when putting your gear on and off a tripod. It's also nice to have the ability to easily balance the body/lens combo to make it hang the way that suits your needs. I find using the QR clamp is much more convenient than removing and installing the connector. Just leave the connector on the QR - I think you will like it. (make sure to get the 1" version only):)

dave b.

Gene C. Callison
09-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Dave,

That would be this one right? http://cgi.ebay.com/1-75-ARCA-STYLE-QUICK-RELEASE-KIRK-ENTERPRISE-QRC-1-75-/380203903715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5885eb2ae3

Gene

William Malacarne
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Gene

That clamp is 1.75 inches you want the one that is 1.0 inches, although that one would work.

Bill

David Billingsley
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Gene,

This is the Kirk 1" QR clamp. Anything bigger is indeed too much for this purpose - you won't like it - I know from experience.

dave b.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/1_in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

Roy Churchill
09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Gene,

This is the Kirk 1" QR clamp. Anything bigger is indeed too much for this purpose - you won't like it - I know from experience.

dave b.

Dave, I realise that a 1" clamp would be ideal but why would a bigger one not work as well? (I already have a Jobu 2" QR clamp and was hoping to use that).

Richard Mc Donald
09-04-2010, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=David Billingsley;562932]I question if the 500 F4 isn't also too heavy to carry via 1D4 strap - I never have.

As I said earlier Dave, six years without a hassle.

Richard

Gene C. Callison
09-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Gene,

dave b.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/1_in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

Thanks for the link Dave, I for some reason just couldn't find it.

Gene

David Billingsley
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Dave, I realise that a 1" clamp would be ideal but why would a bigger one not work as well? (I already have a Jobu 2" QR clamp and was hoping to use that).

Roy,

The 2" clamp will work fine - I didn't like the weight and size of my Kirk 1.75" - just a preference thing only.

dave b.

David Billingsley
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=David Billingsley;562932]I question if the 500 F4 isn't also too heavy to carry via 1D4 strap - I never have.

As I said earlier Dave, six years without a hassle.

Richard

Richard,

Unless I'm mistaken - are we talking about carrying a camera/500F4 combo with a strap attached to the camera body not the lens???

My concern was damage to the lens mounts and camera's strap attachment points. There are times I would like the body/500 on a strap attached to the camera but have never tried it - even with a 1D series body. Is this what you have been doing for six years without a hassle???

I would love to find out this is an acceptable practice - comments from others????

dave b.

Roger Clark
09-06-2010, 08:22 PM

I agree with David. I see no reason to stress the lens mount on the camera. I'll only carry my 500 f/4 by either the foot or the strap on the lens.

Roger

Jonathan Ashton
09-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Interesting conversations here, I wonder what is wrong with the standard strap supplied with the canon 500mm - seems ok to me?? I carry the lens with this strap, my only criticism is I wish it had a quick detach buckle near to the lugs on the lens so that when it is on the tripod the strap would not be in the way.

Richard Mc Donald
09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Dave, yes for six years I had the strap attached to the camera and not the lens.

When I sold the 500 a few weeks ago the guy that bought it, being new to dSLRs, was concerned about the small ammount of free play between lens and camera (7D). As a demonstration I showed him the exact ammount of "normal" play with my new 1D MKIV and 800 so, after six years there was absolutely no sign of extended play from having it set up the way I did. There was also no bending of the 1D MK III's attachment points.

If you have a close look at both camera and lens mount you should be able to understand that these machined parts are fairly robust.

Richard

mikeojohnson
09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
I agree with the Black Rapid + Kirk 1 inch clamp. I have used this setup for a couple of years and it works better than any other I have tried. For the telephoto's you attach the clamp to the lens.

I also recommend the Arm Defense Strap (http://www.naturescapes.net/store/black-rapid-arm-defense-strap-for-rs-7.html) which keeps the strap pad from moving off your shoulder when hoisting the lens.

One other tip: remove the rubber washer and attach the clamp with a little locktite.

I have found that if you consciously tighten the clamp to the camera or lens plate it holds very firm.
Mike

Roy Churchill
09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Just one more question on the BR, what is the difference between the RS-4 and the RS-7, is one more comfortable than the other ?

Charles Glatzer
09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
RS-7 is a streamlined strap with quick release buckle, no accessory pockets, easier shorten and lengthen design. The 1 inch clamp allows you to leave the strap attached to your lens foot while using with a tripod QR.

Chas in Nairobi

Roy Churchill
09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Thank you Charles, I think I will go with the RS-7 then.

Richard Mc Donald
09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Got suckered in also, the RS-7 has been ordered, you guys are going to bankrupt me!

Any idea as to how long product takes to ship from BR as in out the door?

Roy Churchill
09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Just took delivery of a RS-7 with the new R3 connector. I have connected to the arca lens plate via a QR clamp and it is working well with my 300/2.8. One potential problem I heard of was when using a converter someone had the converter disconnect from the lens and the Camera and tc fell to the floor - this was not a failure of the BR as such. a simple fail safe is to conect a short piece of webbing from the camera to the BR fastener.

David Billingsley
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I've not dropped anything when using a TC - but did noticed a couple of times the TC pin didn't completely lock (scary possible results). Since then I make absolutely sure the TC pin is locked by pushing on it. Little extra step but worth it.

dave b.