PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes It Pays....

Arthur Morris
08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
to listen to the leader. I was out at JBWR with two private day clients and two more who would be on the IPT that started the next night. I saw some Canada Geese dipping their breasts in the water. The light and the wind were from the east. I called out, "Let's move; that goose is gonna flap soon." Though there was not much going on with the shorebirds only Denise followed me..... Sometimes it pays to listen to the leader :)

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/1000 sec. at f/6.3.

I used the lowest central AF sensor in One-Shot AF. High speed synch fill flash with Better Beamer at -3 stops.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
ps: You can see a killer Fract of this image here. (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?70882)

If the word "here" does not show up as an active link best to go down below left and select Blue from the dropdown menu :)

Aidan Briggs
08-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey Artie, great low angle, distant BG, and wing flap. The symmetry is great but for the ever so slight tilt of the head to one side. While I might prefer the head to be straight on, it still works very well as is.

Dick Glover
08-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Saw the FRACT first and expected this to be good, and it is. Seems to be brighter towards the center, and am wondering if the Beamer created this, or maybe it is just the natural feather color. Sure like the BG, and I think the head tilt is just right to keep this from being too symetrical. Thanks for sharing. I would have followed you.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Dick. Smart man! The breasts are brighter. The coverage of the flash with the Beamer is much, much wider than the bird: 300mm in fact.

Daniel Cadieux
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I love the details in the wings!! Canada Geese are very much underappreciated by most (as well as gulls), as evidenced by the lack of enthousiasm from your group to move. Too bad, as these subjects offer countless opportunities:cool: I love the soft colours thoughout.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Hey Dan, We are birds of a feather; I love the gulls too, even Herring and Ring-billed.

Greg Basco
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Arthur, this looks quite nice. I like the dark wingtips and the lighter breast area. It really draws my eye to the main subject.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Ofer Levy
08-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Excellent exposure contol, sharp and nice detail. However, composition looks pretty unbalanced to me with so much empty space above the bird - Would crop off the top and add to the bottom OR just crop off the top and leave it as a pano. I also wish for a bit more of a head turn.

Judy Howle
08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I love the position and symmetry of the goose and perfectly photographed.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 08:16 PM
I love the position and symmetry of the goose and perfectly photographed.

Thanks Judy. I agree with you :)