PDA

View Full Version : Rhino

Nico Steenberg
08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Photographed in Pilanesberg South Africa.

Rhino poaching is a big problem in SA at the moment 184 killed since this year, the latest killing was 2 of them the day before yesterday !!!!

Canon EOS 450D
Tv 1/1000Sec.
Av F8.0
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photopost/data/517/IMG_40332.jpg

Nico Steenberg
08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
The situation is not looking good at the moment Peter, there is a National anti-poaching committee established to try put a stop to this. I think the only thing what we can do is to donate in Rhino funds. The hole in the ear is a way to mark them, easier for Game rangers to identify individuals.

Thank for looking and commenting :)

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Sad story for these guys.

Nice light and good composition of the head and upper body. Not obstructions on the face. If possible moving left for a better angle on the head and/or waiting for a slight turn towards you. Of course get all the shots you can and then wait or move to improve it. Nice work and thanks for the details.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I like the composition and the light.

Sad to hear about the poaching. It is a big problem in India as well. In the Kagiranga Tiger Reserve in India, the one horned rhinos face heavy poaching pressure. The Government recently allowed the forest department officers to right to use firearms against poachers. The antipoaching laws in India are being strengthened. Prosecution is a big challenge here. What is the maximum amount of punishment for poaching a rhino in SA?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Hilary Hann
08-28-2010, 06:49 AM
News on the rhinos is truly depressing, but your photo is really nice and I do like the hole in the ear showing up in the shadow.

Rachel Hollander
08-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Nico - Nice image and thanks for drawing out attention to the poaching problem. I knew it was going on but had no idea how widespread it is and how alarming the numbers are (although no amount of poaching is good.) I hope the anti-poaching efforts prove successful and that the poachers are apprehended and punished.

Rachel

Stu Bowie
08-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Stunning light Nico, which in turn has brought out the detail. Good work mate.

Nico Steenberg
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Thank you every one for viewing and commenting. Its highly appreciated :)

Sabyasachi, i am not sure what the maximum amount of punishment is for poaching rhino in SA, will find out and let you know.

Nico Steenberg
08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
One poacher was shot dead yesterday in Pilanesberg !

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2010, 04:36 AM
nice portrait in good light Nico...the poaching is really getting bad...it is said that one horn is worth $1million by the time it reaches the East.

Nico Steenberg
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you every one for viewing and commenting. Dit word waardeer :)