PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-rumped Warbler

Bill Holsten
08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Photographed 1/20/2010 at 10:20 AM in my back yard in Rancho Santa Fe, CA. I cloned out a dead oak leaf that was clutched in the birds right claw. The HA gendarme(s) should be happy with this one.

EOS 7D, EF300mm f/2.8 L IS + 2X, 1250", f7.1, ISO 400

Wish I would have taken it a little faster with a bit more DOF and lower ISO. Comments encouraged.

Dave Blinder
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Great HA and exposure Bill. Was this a set-up?

Doug Brown
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice image Bill! Good sharpness and eye contact. I like the BG color too. Would only find a perch that isn't cut off at the end. Agree with your self-assessment regarding DOF. Got your email BTW.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Bill, this is very nice. Bird and head angle, both are excellent.

Bill Holsten
08-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Great HA and exposure Bill. Was this a set-up?

Not exactly. I have a number of dead branches wired to the wrought iron fence surrounding my back yard, which opens onto open space. I also have a few feeders in the area. There are 10-15 varieties of birds that perch on the dead branches from time to time. Some of them come to the feeders (Jays, Finches, Grosbeaks, Towhees, Cowbirds, Doves, Thrashers), but others (Warblers, Kingbirds, Quail, Roadrunners) just take advantage of the elevated perch. Whenever I see something interesting out the window, I grab my camera and try to sneak up on it as I did this one. No tripod, no flash, there wasn't time.

Glenda Simmons
08-29-2010, 11:39 PM
You did a great job, getting this guy, while you had the chance. Sometimes those fleeting chance shots, turn out better than the ones you put alot of planning into!