PDA

View Full Version : Alone - Coastal Brown bear

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2010, 08:21 AM
From my Lake Clark National Park, AK workshop last week. Trying from something different as I saw this bear walking off into the fog it made me feel its solitude on this wide expanse. I made multiple images as the bear walked to be sure to capture the legs not merging with each other. I like the fact we is walking into the abyss of the fog. I included all the negative space to enhance the feeling of solitude.

Opinions - does it work?

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 600mm + 1.4x TC 840mm
1/1600 sec, f/5.6
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800

Grant Eldridge
08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Robert,

This image really works for me, dripping with emotion. The inclusion of the extra white space was the right thing to do. The low hung head and shoulder hump take it the next step in emphasizing the solitude. Not an image for a depression counselors office, but I really like it.

Grant

stuart wanuck
08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
interesting but the whiteout bothers my eyes. i guess i was not the only one experiencing fog at silver salmon

Arthur Morris
08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Interesting. It needs a frame of some sort as it is merging with the light gray BKGR on my monitor.....

Sabyasachi Patra
08-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Robert,
Interesting attempt. I feel these kind of images would evoke the desired emotions when printed big.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Hilary Hann
08-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Robert, a big yes from me but I'm a sucker for the large expanses of environment. I'm not viewing on my office monitor so won't comment on IQ but the comp looks great. Does make me feel a great sense of loneliness and sadness so the EQ is working for me.

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Interesting. It needs a frame of some sort as it is merging with the light gray BKGR on my monitor.....

First thing I thought when I posted it Artie. Next time I will.

Sabyasachi, your comment goes along with Artie's. If I printed and framed it I would chose a mat that accentuate the work buy not letting the eye stray onto the mat - so something dark to frame it.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys.

Arthur Morris
08-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Would love to see it with a thin frame :)

Rachel Hollander
08-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Robert - interesting image. I think for it to really work effectively it has to be printed fairly large, maybe 20x30 and I agree with Artie that it needs a thin frame.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Maxson
08-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Robert. I like what you are trying to do here and the mood this conveys. For me, the bear seems too contrasty - not what I would expect for a foggy scene. :)

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi Robert. I like what you are trying to do here and the mood this conveys. For me, the bear seems too contrasty - not what I would expect for a foggy scene. :)

Steve,

Between me and the bear, no fog. Fog was past the bear out into the water. That is why the light was so diffused past the bear and very little water detail on the sandy/watery surface. I was also going to higher contrast lok as well. Thanks for looking.

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Would love to see it with a thin frame :)

I will post one tomorrow. I am going out now for dinner on my wedding anniversary.

Stu Bowie
08-29-2010, 12:57 AM
I will post one tomorrow. I am going out now for dinner on my wedding anniversary.
Congrats on your anniversary Robert. This works for me, as I too like these wide open space images. I think Artie hit the nail on the head by suggesting a frame.

Robert Amoruso
08-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Version with frame. I used mid-tone gray after trying black and white.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks. It looks much better.

Hilary Hann
08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Good choice in frame.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-30-2010, 03:14 AM
Sabyasachi, your comment goes along with Artie's. If I printed and framed it I would chose a mat that accentuate the work buy not letting the eye stray onto the mat - so something dark to frame it.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys.

Robert,
I checked it in an airport lounge and it was not easy viewing it with all kinds of lighting. With the border in the repost, it becomes much easier. The colour of frame gels well with the image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Andrew Aveley
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I love the space and that the subject is walking from R to L. Sometimes one can convey the feeling of the solitude by creating the perfect space! I imagine that theses wilderness areas in North America even more so now with this image.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
missed this one! love it Robert...