Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400
Color Space: Adobe RGB

VinceRossi
08-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Wow !

pat lillich
08-26-2010, 07:39 AM
gorgeous! what a beautiful bird and neat crop.

John Chardine
08-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Roy- Nice intimate portrait of what should be Canada's national bird (I don't think it's official yet). Your composition is classic with the eye close to the "rule of thirds" point. You have lots of detail in the blacks and whites which is not easy. The soft light you had helped hugely here.

I think a few things could greatly improve the image. First, I am seeing noise in the darker tones of the image including the BG, head and eye. Was the eye lightened? This may have brought out the noise. I would try to remove from BG and eye as I don't think the noise in the dark feathers is so much of an issue. I do this by zooming in on the eye and using a blur brush over the iris, trying not to blur the edges. I'd also burn-in (darken) the pupil. Second I think a small boost in contrast is needed so long as the details in the shadows and highlights are maintained. Third, I would punch the saturation a little to get more red out of the eye and brighten the BG a little. Of these I think removing noise is the most important.

Vince- You obviously like Roy's image, as I do. Could you say why you like it.

Bill Dix
08-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Beautiful portrait, Roy. Love the water color and composition. Great advice from John; cleaning up the noise in the eye and bg, along with a bit of saturation of the eye, will produce a very handsome image. I just wish the head were turned a bit toward you.

Roy Priest
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
hopefully this is better. Thanks for your suggestions. I couldn't get the eye any redder.

Troy Lim
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Love the sharpness and details of the shot but somehow composition does not work for me. Would like to see more of the body...

Lance Peters
08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Roy - is it just my eyes- or is the head angled slightly away??
John hit the main points on the head for me.
Keep em coming.

John Chardine
08-26-2010, 06:19 PM
It's either slightly away or dead flat to the sensor. Hard to tell. The repost has really improved the noise. Well done Roy.

Julie Kenward
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Roy, there's a lot to love here but I've got one comment and it's probably just me - but the shoulder furthest from the FG seems almost disconnected from the rest of the bird. Maybe because it's lighter? Maybe just the angle of the pose? I'm not really sure...it just seems a bit "off" for some reason. That said, I still really like the image because of the soft lighting and the amount of detail you managed to bring out in the blacks. Awesome!

Arthur Morris
08-26-2010, 07:26 PM
The repost is an improvement but the image lacks punch and vibrance, surely a result of the poor lighting conditions. The bird's head is angled away a bit but even if it were square to the back of the camera it would still be a poor head angle in this case as the bird is angled towards us.... In these cases the head needs to be on straight. Again, I urge all to study the links in the Head Angle sticky at the top of this page.