PDA

View Full Version : Misty butterfly

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Trying my hand at Macro. Boy, this stuff ain't easy! :o To all of you "Buggers",My hat's off to you!:2eyes2:
Handheld:
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.0
Shooting Date/Time 8/25/2010 2:51:27 PM
Author DON_HAMILTON_JR.flyinghamiltons@comcast.net
Copyright Notice 2010
Owner's Name
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 1000
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Focal Length 100.0mm
Image Size 5184x3456
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1 2/3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
AF area select mode Spot AF

Art Kornienko
08-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Nice work Don, the 7D and 100 macro are a killer combo. The sharpness and focus are very good. There seem to be some slight spots in the dark areas around the butterfly, they are small and faint, but I wonder what these are. Love the water drops.

Mike Moats
08-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey Don, doesn't look like you're having to much trouble with macro. Good details, comp and background. Well done.

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Thks Art, & Mike i wonder, if the water drops got on my lens as well... This is straight out of camera, and only a small crop! Do you think i should have used more DOF?? I'm open to any suggestions! It's brutal:cool: trying to find nice perches, and clean BKG'S! I'm convinced this discipline, will make me a better photographer though!:p
Thks for your input!
"A want -To- Be- Macro"

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Don, doesn't look like you're having to much trouble with macro. Good details, comp and background. Well done.
Thks mike, you should have seen the 100 images i trashed though!:o Thk goodness it wasn't film!:D

Art Kornienko
08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I think the dof is fine, stopping down more would have cost you in IQ.

Ian Cassell
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
As another 7D/100mm owner, I'm jealous! Very nice image -- composition and color.

Ken Childs
08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey Don, I think this one is lovely as is, especially for something right out of the camera, but a few small editing tweaks might take it up a few notches.
If you have the canvas, consider a small CW rotation so the upper edge of the wing is pointing more towards the ULC. Also selecting and sharpening the antennae is easier than you may think, especially when you have a relatively even BG. Normally I would sharpen and lighten the eye on a butterfly but with the water drops all over it, I'd probably still do that but would back off on just how strong of an effect I'd apply. Lastly, try increasing the contrast just a bit.

Roman Kurywczak
08-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey Don,
Haven't worked on mine yet;).....I like Ken's suggestions above to take it up a notch. The DOF falloff is expected......especially with the busier BG's......so wise choice! Hunting for those BG's is the key! Very nicely done overall and happy hunting!