PDA

View Full Version : Evening Monarch

Art Kornienko
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
50D, 300 F4L IS, F7.1, 1/400, ISO 400 on monopod. I would have liked to have the head tilted more to the left, but couldn't get into that position.

http://artfx.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v4/p862420233-5.jpg

Mike Moats
08-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Art, I think the position looks fine. Good details through out, only thing I see the backside of the leaf that the B-fly is perch on has a blue tint in the shadow area. Well Done

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Art, nice bkg,EXP, and comp! Like it a lot, perhaps a tad more angle to the left, as it would be way cool to see a bit more of the head. Great job, Keep them Coming! Not sure on the blue tint to the leaf.
TFS
Don

Art Kornienko
08-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, it just goes to show you no matter how long you stare at a picture you miss things. I never saw the blue tint at all and I stared at this shot for a while. I looked at the original, and there is a tint there but not that blue, I must have enhanced it in PP somehow. Thanks for your help.

Steve Maxson
08-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Art. The first thing that struck me about this image was the overall blueish cast - an easy fix by adding some yellow to warm it up. The butterfly is nicely posed and you have a good background. You might consider cropping some from the left to remove more of the OOF leaves. :)

Ken Childs
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
The blue issue has already been mentioned but I think a few more small tweaks could take this nice shot up a notch or 2. If this were mine, I'd consider removing the partial leaf that's going out the top of the frame. I think I'd also crop a small amount from the bottom.

It would have been nice if that antenna wasn't merged with the leaf. I don't know if a small step to the left would have fixed that or if it would have caused the wings to merge with the lower leaf. You could have tried explaining to the butterfly that lifting that antenna would have helped you but so far giving them direction hasn't worked for me. :D

Roman Kurywczak
08-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Art,
You have already received some excellent advice above! I do think that a slightly better angle may have helped...eliminating the merge and a slightly better andgle on the head......but not always easy with them moving around! Just some things to keep in mind when out in the field.