PDA

View Full Version : spider; backside

John Chardine
08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Thought I'd give this guy a try. The light was harsh afternoon sun. It looks like I used flash but I didn't.

No crop. Boosted saturation a little in LAB colour. Sharpened.

Date: 25 August, 2010, Time: 16:22h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM @ 100 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 400, 1/40s, f/16
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: off

Steve Maxson
08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi John. Nice to see you back at Macro. Very nice job of handling the harsh light. Good sharpness throughout and I like the slight diagonal comp. The pastel background and the rather low contrast colors of the spider almost make the spider look soft and cuddly. :) I expect you could also up the contrast on the spider, but that would give you a very different overall look. Well done.

Julie Kenward
08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
I think Steve nailed the critique! You could go dark and intense or stay with this -soft and cuddly version (although the soft and cuddly is in the eye of the beholder and my eye isn't beholding!) Spiders...eeeew!

I do like the placement in the frame and the slight diagonal as Steve mentioned. Nicely seen and handled!

Roman Kurywczak
08-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey John,
I think you handled the light very well! Some people may not like the "floating" look.....but I like the unusual take on this! Sharp where it needs it and nice to see a different perspective!