PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Hook Sunrise

Dave Blinder
08-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Taken recently in New Jersey

I already cloned out several nasty hexagonal solar flares (no lens hood), ran some barrel distortion lens correction, contrast adjustment, small crop from bottom+right, slight CS4 noise reduction for smoothing, and then ran Smart Sharpen.

EFS 18-55, Tripod, manual mode, timer, no filters
Camera Canon EOS 7D
Exposure 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 100

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4924033930_0128d984da_b.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey Dave,
Ah.....the Jersey shore......tough place to photograph! I think you did well comp wise.....putting the sun in a good position but the FG is a bit too dark and dominant. You have 2 options....in the field use a split ND filter.....if you were to get just one.....the soft edge 3 stop would be my 1st choice in a 4x6 size so you can HH it in front of the lens. You can also do 2 or more exposures....1 for FG and 1 for sky and blend them......or an alll out HDR and try that. I always find the split the fastest and most time consuming......especially in cases like this w/ a flat horizon. If so inclined....you can make this into a nice vert by eliminating most of the RH side......takes out most of the FG dominaance and leaves all the other beautiful stuff behind! Just some options for you to explore.

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Dave,

Roman brought up a good point on paring down the FG to less rocks. I was going to suggest that. As I create a lot of images at the shoreline I have found the following strategies work for me.

1) Slower shutter speeds. 20 sec. 30 sec. You will need a Neutral Density Filter (3 stops up to 6 stops) to get that long an exposure. Also the split neutral density filter Roman suggested is a good idea. Reason is to create a soft silky look to the water. Personally, I do not like partially soft like you get in the 1 sec, 2 sec ranges. I either want the water sharp, or very blurred. For sunrises like this, I want the water very soft and silky.

2) Aim the camera down at the in-rushing water and combined with the golden glow and various shutter speeds create some interesting abstracts.

3) Include lots of clouds when they are good.

Where I photograph my beach scenes in Florida, I have no FG elements likes rocks so I use the slow shutter speeds to accentuate the FG at low tides and the patterns created as the waves rush in and out.

Dave Mills
08-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Hi Dave, Between Roman and Robert's great advice I don't have much to add except I like the way your thinking. You took a scene and found a foreground,kept the horizon straight and offset the sun. All good compositional elements...