PDA

View Full Version : MINWR Reddish Egrets

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, FL this past weekend.

Due to the presence of Reddish Egret rookies in the area, MINWR has had an increasing number of Reds at it this time of year. Mostly first year youngsters learning the ropes though the adults are around too.

I spotted over 25 of them in this area with as many as 6 in close proximity to each other and when that happens, you do get some fireworks. I created a whole series of images that morning, all backlight, all high-contrast. Backlighting so strong the colors were skewed and washed out. Those got a monochromatic treatment, some like this the subtle reds of the egret showed through.

As the birds are molting, they are not at their best, hence the reduced colors as well. In any event, a lot of interesting activity that morning.

This guy, fishing alone struck a pose.

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-24-2010, 09:09 AM
beautiful wing position,composition,pose,reflection!!!

Ofer Levy
08-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Nice mood captured. I am not sure I see the need for all the space on the left - take out the signature and you end up with an empty space. Would go for a tight vertical.

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Nice mood captured. I am not sure I see the need for all the space on the left - take out the signature and you end up with an empty space. Would go for a tight vertical.

I have that one too Ofer. I tried a ROT with the right power points on the face of the bird and reflection. Normally I try a few crops and live with them before a final decision. Figured I would post this one to get this started.

Connie Mier
08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
This is great, I am partial to high key shots. Excellent use of backlight. I would get rid of the few specks in the water.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Robert, loved the high key treatment here. Although small, the eye catches the attention nicely. thx for sharing this unique shot.

denise ippolito
08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Robert, I like the use of negative space here. I also like the high key look. Nice details too. I agree w/ Connie regarding the specks. Beautiful image :)

AJ Witt
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Robert, nice image! I am curious as to how you got that high key image...in camera or post processing?

Nico Steenberg
08-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Some thing different. Great pose and reflection. Subject is sharp and well exposed.