PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Brown Bear and Cub clamming

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Another from my Lake Clark National Park, AK workshop.

This images is a stitch of three images. The first is the full bear and cub in vertical. As it was tight front and back, I panned left and made an image and then right and made an image.

Stitch is along the areas the bears are not in the frame.

Working in manual, I can pan either direction and make the stitching images w/o a change in exposure.

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 600mm
1/1000 sec, f/4
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 400

Paul Taylor
08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
What a great technique to use when your lens is a little too long, and what a fantastic result. There are so many good things to say about it but the fact they appear to be walking on water and the bear cub fitting perfectly in with the contours of the mother's body (eye bright and shiny too) really make this special. I haven't commented much for a while, but this one is quite a learning experience for me all round. Thank you for showing.

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Robert - I like this very much, looks like a tender moment despite the blood on mom's claws. Thanks for the tips on the technique.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks Paul, I appreciate your kind words.

Rachel, I did not notice the red on the claw. Unless she had hurt herself while clamming, it might be natural coloring of the nail. Thanks for looking.

stuart wanuck
08-24-2010, 04:54 PM
looks like the same bear that posed for me nice capture

Willem Verboom
08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Robert,
I like the eye contact from the cub with his/her mother nice cozy. I admire the feardetail and I'm courieus how you achieve that? Is it something you do in ps?

Greetz Willem

Hilary Hann
08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
A beautiful portrait of mother and cub. Like the POV very much and good tip on adding some canvas by thinking ahead. Love the reflection.

Haim Ziv
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Great work. very beautiful done.

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Robert,
I like the eye contact from the cub with his/her mother nice cozy. I admire the feardetail and I'm courieus how you achieve that? Is it something you do in ps?

Greetz Willem

Thank you for your kind words. A few things contribute to the detail. Good light. Even though I was tight at 600mm, I am still relatively far away so even at f/4, DOF is greater the farther away you are - that helped. No fog or heat waves to upset the atmosphere. Lastly good long lens technique to get the best sharpness.

Nico Steenberg
08-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Great sharp detail and IQ. Like the comp. Subjects is well exposed with good natural colours against a killer DOF. Well done !