PDA

View Full Version : A Little Problem With Live View

Norm Dulak
08-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Live View is recommended for precise focusing, especially in macro work. So recently when probing into the center of a flower, I decided to try it on my D300 camera. I turned Live View on, tripod mode, and dutifully composed and focused on the flower. I even zoomed the screen image in to make focusing more precise.:2eyes2: But the image was not very sharp, so I completed my work with the viewfinder! Now, the reason for the problem is clear.

When I reached the age of about 40 my reading vision began to deteriorate. Since then, I've worn progressive bifocal glasses to correct minor distance vision problems and, more importantly, to allow me to read much better. But because the region of the glasses at the bottom of the lenses for reading is small, prolonged reading is not comfortable, and you have to tilt your head up to read something straight in front of you. Thus for prolonged reading and for computer screen work, I use dedicated reading glasses. With those facts in mind, the reason for my problem with Live View focusing is obvious.

When I looked through the viewfinder everything was sharp, because I had adjusted the diopter on my camera to make it so. But there is no diopter adjustment for Live View! So I suppose I'll just have to keep those reading glasses handy in my pocket!:)

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Norm

Dave Leroy
08-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I know the feeling Norm. I also carry off the shelve reading glasses in my pocket if I am thinking of using LiveView. Even so, I feel more comfortable using the viewfinder.

A few years ago I had Laser Surgery. One eye was adjusted for better viewing at distance and the other for viewing closer so I could read things like labels. The distance eye vision dropped off a bit so I normally wear one contact lens when I am out and about especially for photography. It makes fine work pretty awkward at times.

I have one pair of prescription glasses for watching TV and just yesterday ordered another for working at a computer. My eyes are fine for things like driving but not so good where some high precision is required. I especially notice it when looking at photos for detail and sharpness, so the glasses for looking at a monitor.

As far as I can tell, prescription glasses seem to be the best solution for viewing, but they are certainly awkward in the field.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

James Shadle
08-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Norm,
That is why I'm a little scared of the Electric Viewfinder camera's.
Randy Stout is an eye Dr. deluxe and will tell you, as we age our ability to close focus is diminished.

In low light I need glasses to see objects close to me.
I never have a problem seeing / focusing through a regular SLR camera's viewfinder. I tried my wife's Panasonic point and shoot's EVF and could not focus at all.

Chris Ober
08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
moving to the photography gear forum