PDA

View Full Version : Historic View from 35,000 feet

Steve Bein
03-09-2008, 02:32 AM
This is the Colorado River Delta. The arrow points to the location where the boat repair station was located and it serviced many of the paddle wheelers which travelled up the Colorado before it was dammed off. Some friends of mine went there to locate the old city and find the boat facility. They found both. They were mired in the soft fine silt mud that collects at this location. I have some other images of the area where the Sea of Cortez joins the delta, but this is of historic significance. I am a member of the Adventurers Club of Los Angeles and two weeks before I flew to the Cancun area, my friends talked of their expedition to this location. It was strange to fly over the area where they travelled shortly before, but also enlightening to know what the area was below. The squares are salt drying ponds.
This was shot with a Panasonic Lumex LX-2 with a leica lens. ( point and shoot)

Anita Rakestraw
03-09-2008, 05:29 AM
How fascinating, Steve! I love seeing the earth characteristics from a jet and it really brings earth science/geography to life. Lots of noise in this image as you are probably aware.

Steve Bein
03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Anita,
Yes, there is a lot of noise, but I thought the image with its hostiry was worth posting. I just sent this image and a thanks to the two friends who gave the talk. IT was just with a point and shoot camera and not the best of conditions, but I have found, when lucky to be sitting at a window seat, that some interesting, though not N.G. quality images can be made. They are better with a good SLR. Thanks for the comment.

Anita Rakestraw
03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Yes, it was worth posting, Steve and so enjoyed the history. Great shot for a p&s too!

Alfred Forns
03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Must be a spooky site !!!! Quality is not bad Steve I have one of those little cameras Not sure what iso you used but would leave at 100!!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Such an interesting image Steve as well as a wonderful capture. I really appreciate all the background history that you provided. Many thanks for sharing something that we would probably never have the opportunity to see.