PDA

View Full Version : Rooftop at La Pedrera, Barcelona

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
La Pedrera is considered to be one of the best creations by Antoni Gaudi. I decided to create a tight comp here. 40D. 100 f/2 at f/11. iso 320.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Mil%C3%A0

All C&C welcome.

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Good use of the repeating patterns.

I tried a local contrast enhancement and liked the results (more here on the method if you do know it http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434).

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Thx Robert. I will try that. I came back from that trip with so many shots(architecture and family) that I did not really process them as carefully as I usually do my bird shots. One of these days, when I get the time, I need to sit with some of the better ones and reprocess the RAW files.

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey Kaustubh,
I think you have some excellent light here that really shows off the details in the stone. Amazing building and story (Thanks for the link!). I think you chose the right path here.....instead of capturing the entire building....which IMO would be difficult......focusing on some of the structure makes a nice architectual abstract. I did debate the 2 cut tips on the left......whether I want it included.....I do think it may have improved it somewhat but I also think you can go to a pano also. Just some thoughts for you when you try to reprocess.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Thx Roman for the feedback. I made a lot of images on that rooftop :-) One can spend a whole day there I think...but I had only an hr. I had 17-40f4L, 50f1.8 and 100f2. But my favorite is this tight one. Liked the compression effect of 100mm focal length.

Tim Munsey
08-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks for sharing, fascinating piece of detail, I can understand why you could spend a long time.

Tim

Dave Mills
08-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi Kaustubh, Just spent a week in Chicago shooting architecture and had to reprogram my brain since I don't usually shoot skyscrapers. I found it challenging.
Gaudi is all over Barcelona and you did a nice job making a composition out of a smaller part of a whole. The image also has warm light, good detail and flowing in a diagonal.
I generally would have tried not to clip the the tips of the 2 rear formations. This also would of added a bit more blue sky which would not have been overdone...

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Thx Tim and Dave.