PDA

View Full Version : Chicory.

Daniel Cadieux
08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
So many of these bloom by the roadsides in mid/late summer, but I had never stopped to get a closer look at one until I came across a patch of wildflowers during an evening walk. Fun to get the Kenkos out once in a while:)

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 @75mm + 36mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/60s., f/13, ISO 800, no EC, natural light, handheld, full frame.

Julie Kenward
08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I love chickory! I think it's one of the best wildflowers around...the color is beautiful, the flower is relatively easy to photograph...what's not to love? You did a great job showcasing it's beauty, Daniel. I love the placement in the frame and the detail in all the stamen. Nice color combo with the periwinkle and light green. This is really beautiful!

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Hey Daniel,
It's funny how macro forces you to look at things that we tend to ingnore......until we slow down and really look! It is indeed a beautiful flower and grows in abundance all around here too.
I will give you something to try for next time out .....try seeing if you can compose this w/o the green v on the bottom.....or make it as small as the right and top one. If you study the angles w/o the camera in hand.....you may find one that you can pull off. I was going to mention the petals on the LH side.....including them......but it didn't bother me at all but may be another comp you can experiment with.
Like Jules mentioned.....composed very well....sweet light.......sharp where it needs it.....excellent overall!:cheers:

Steve Maxson
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I like the comp and sharpness (especially at 1/60, HH), Daniel. Very nicely done!

Mike Moats
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey Dan, the Chicory flower grow on the ugliest spindlely looking plant, and most consider just a roadside weed, it sure produces a great looking images, and love what you did with this one. Good comp, details and light.

Anita Bower
08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I love the center of this Chicory! Wow! Good job!! Great composition. I like the curve of the petals. I think of Chicory as blue, but this one has a violet cast. Was that its color? Well done.

Daniel Cadieux
08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks Anita! Yes, most of them were/are a truer blue. This one, as well a couple of others, had this pale violet hue to them...it struck me how good the blue stamens looked against this.

Anita Bower
08-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Anita! Yes, most of them were/are a truer blue. This one, as well a couple of others, had this pale violet hue to them...it struck me how good the blue stamens looked against this.
Excellent choice!