PDA

View Full Version : What is the most suitable format for LCD projection ?

saleeltambe
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Friends,

I am planning to do a photography lecture by projecting my images via LCD projector. But I am not planning ot insert my images into a powerpoint but instead want to use photobrowsers like Irfanview or windows picture viewer or somthing similar.

I'm wondering if the resolution matters for LCD projection and what could be the best way to size my images for the best output -

a) 1280 x 760 pixlels at 72 resolution ?
b) 1280 x 780 pixles at 300 resolution ?
---
c) 6 inch x 4 inch image size at 72 resolution ?
d) 6 inch x 4 inch image size at 300 resolution ?
----
e) 12 inch x 9 inch image size at 72 resolution ?
f) 12 inch x 9 inch image at 300 resolution ?

I have been getting mixed feedback from various people and hence a bit confused. Your kind inputs will certainly be helpful. Appreciate your views.

Cheers,
Saleel Tambe

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Saleel,

DO you know what the output device uses? that is generally the best size to make the image. As far as resolution, 72 ppi is the standard though I do prefer to leave images I plan on projecting at my Tiff precessed size or 240 ppi.

saleeltambe
08-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Many thanks Robert for your inputs.
Right now I am not sure of the details of the output device as the institute for which I am doing this presentation will be hiring a projector from outside.
But I guess regardless of the dimensions - a 72 resolution and 300 resolution image will still be seen the same on the screen ...I am trying to figure out this element.

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I am guessing 1024x768 as this is the typical size. you might want to try these.

John Chardine
08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Correct. The resolution (dpi) of the image does not matter. Optimally you want to size your image to the native resolution of the LCD projector- at least so that the longest dimension matches the native width or height. That way your computer video card or slide software will not have to resample your image if it's too large to fit. If it's smaller than the native resolution, then the image will just project over an area smaller than the projector is capable of. Some slide software has an option to expand the images to fit the screen, which you definitely don't want to do if the image is smaller than the native resolution of the projector.

saleeltambe
08-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Many Thanks John. After experimenting I agree perfectly with your views and Roberts inputs. It looks the res does not make any difference and approx a width of about 1024 @72 resolution works quite well. Anything more than this is eventually downsampled by the projection device.