PDA

View Full Version : Give a Dog a bone.

Marc Mol
08-23-2010, 07:50 AM
One of the 10 strong Mapula Wild Dog pack, gnawing on a leftover Impala leg bone they had taken down the evening before.

D3 500VR 1/350s ISO200@f/8 Moremi GR- Botswana Sept '09

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/Botswana-Sept-2009/D316132a/979587918_bQjcu-XL.jpg

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Given the strong light, lots of detail here. I like the fly on the nose.

Of course, more face and eye contact would be good.

Hilary Hann
08-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Agree with Robert and I love that nose fly! :) What time of day did you take this? Not much you can do about the lighting and I think you've done a good job with the image.

Marc Mol
08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks Robert & Hilary

Taken @ 09.56, so yes the light was starting to get harsh.

Cheers
Marc

Hilary Hann
08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Doesn't give you much time to find those sightings does it? I have seen some wonderful things at 8.30am in Kenya and even then the lighting is considered harsh. Days like that it pays to have some cloud cover for a while, just to balance harsh highlights and shadows. Hope you have all the best sightings in the Mara before 8am and after 5pm … gives you about an hour and a half per day! :confused: No wonder wildlife photographers are a frustrated lot! :D

Ken Watkins
08-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Marc,

I really do not mind harsh light and am really not to sure why so many do not like it.

I cannot say that I recognize the dog, but it certainly looks happy:D

A good sighting is better than golden light with nothing there.

Hilary Hann
08-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Marc,

I really do not mind harsh light and am really not to sure why so many do not like it.

I cannot say that I recognize the dog, but it certainly looks happy:D

I agree totally with you here Ken. I think part of the issue with the harsh light is that when you see an image with soft, golden light you get a real WOW factor which you then compare everything else to. It gets so I'm hesitant to post an image with any really contrasty light because the viewer doesn't seem to see beyond that. Then of course, if you are submitting photos to stock libraries and magazines they are so fussy that there isn't much point showing the ones with harsher light.

Ken Watkins
08-24-2010, 04:08 AM
I agree totally with you here Ken. I think part of the issue with the harsh light is that when you see an image with soft, golden light you get a real WOW factor which you then compare everything else to. It gets so I'm hesitant to post an image with any really contrasty light because the viewer doesn't seem to see beyond that. Then of course, if you are submitting photos to stock libraries and magazines they are so fussy that there isn't much point showing the ones with harsher light.

It is a real shame that peoples taste is dictated by third parties. Lets be honest we are supposed to convey reality not a dreamlike world.

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Well captured wild dog image. I like the comp, particularly the almost diagonal line of the head through the leg.

Interesting discussion about shooting in harsh light. As someone who is a hobbyist rather than a professional, I shoot whenever I see or find the subjects (see recent mountain goat post) while I am aware of the light and the issues it raises, it doesn't stop me from shooting or from enjoying those shots. I feel like I never know if I'm going to come across that type of animal in better light or if when I do it won't be blocked by a bush, grass, etc.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
08-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Marc,

Couldn't agree more Ken.;)

Nico Steenberg
08-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Great sharpness and comp. Harsh light well handled. Well done

Andrew Aveley
09-06-2010, 12:32 PM
one of my favorite african predators! I enjoy the tight framing and detail in these harsh lighting conditions!