PDA

View Full Version : Downy Woodpecker on vine.

Daniel Cadieux
08-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Taken a couple of weeks ago. My day was finished, and as I was walking back I spotted this Downy working up a vine. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I just hoped it wouldn't go up too high up as I slowly made my approach. It did, but by pure chance it started to make its' way back down! Very dark conditions and slow SSs available, and out of many images taken this was the only keeper with all other ones suffering from either subject motion blur, camera shake, or not good enough head angles on the ones that were sharp.

The only thing I don't like about the image is the worn and ratty plumage - but I suppose it tells the story of a long tireless summer of work:).

Canon 40D + 100-400 @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/60s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +1 EC, natural light, handheld, ~80% FF.

Doug Brown
08-23-2010, 08:31 AM
This image works very well for me. I particularly like the tree branch and the BG. Pretty sharp for 1/60 hand held at 400mm! I might crop a little off the top. And I might go for slightly blacker blacks.

Jonathan Ashton
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Very nice Dan, I like the colours but similar to Doug I would be tempted to do a little Selective Colour Backs & Neutrals> Black say 2-3 points, it would give a little more punch but that of course may destroy the image for you - perhaps you wanted pastel shades as it were?

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Daniel, this is superb. Loved the comp and BG a lot. You certainly overachieve with your equipment :-) And you have special skill at getting close to birds. Hats off.

Blake Shadle
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
At least you came away something as nice as you did for all of your suffering. I like the composition, even the slightly down-turned head angle. Wish there was a way to bring out his eye a little more. Love the background.

Nico Steenberg
08-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Always nice to photograph one of these. Like the comp and bg. Subject is well exposed with great colours. Well done !

Jim Crosswell
08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Great job with the available light! I like the perch, BG and working pose.