PDA

View Full Version : BushHawk with 400mm lens??

Sabyasachi Patra
03-09-2008, 12:59 AM
I stumbled upon Bush Hawk. Immediately I ordered a Bush Hawk 320D. I intend to use it from top of an elephant. Earlier I used to use a monopod from the elephant and have got sharp photos using the Canon EF 300mm F4 L IS USM lens and the EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM. With the 300mm f4 I have used the 1.4x and with the 70-200 f2.8 I have used the 2x converter.

Since I will be on top of an elephant for several hours at a stretch, I will be carrying my 400mm f2.8 IS lens also. Can I use it with the bush hawk. I have never been able to handhold this 400mm lens and get sharp pictures. I use a 1 D Mark II.

Alfred Forns
03-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Hand holding that lens is difficult and from top of an ele .... can't imagine Have you thought about the 400 DO Weights only four pounds Might the the best for the situation !!!!

If you need feedback as to the sharpness etc might do a sear in Arties bulletins It has seen extensive action !!!

andrewhuxman
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I use my Bushhawk with my 500 works well ,but the 400 F 2.8 is 3.3 lbs heavier than the 500 F.4 but I would think it would be ok just make sure the plate is really really secured on the Bushhawk .

Glenn Price
03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Also keep the strap on the lens, not the BushHawk.

andrewhuxman
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Also keep the strap on the lens, not the BushHawk.

I have a strap on each the lens and Bushhawk around my neck just to be safe. Overkill I know but Im not going to have anything fall and possibly break.

Don LaVange
03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
I use my Bushhawk with my 500 works well ,but the 400 F 2.8 is 3.3 lbs heavier than the 500 F.4 but I would think it would be ok just make sure the plate is really really secured on the Bushhawk .

How do you do it? I bought the Bushhawk for the combination of the 1D Mark 3 and the 500 f4 and it is more than I can handle. Outside of general strength training like working out with weights or machines, is there a secret or process you can share?

Bill Sharkey
03-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Like anything else in life you need to practice, and practice some more :)

I use the BH with the 500 f4 and find it to work excellent for BIF shots and stationary shots. Try it with a smaller lens first and get used to tracking gulls or ducks. Last year I got tendonitis (tennis elbow) in both my arms and had to stop shooting for a short time, but now I am healed and use the 500 as much as possible. :)

Bill

Don LaVange
03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Like anything else in life you need to practice, and practice some more :)

I use the BH with the 500 f4 and find it to work excellent for BIF shots and stationary shots. Try it with a smaller lens first and get used to tracking gulls or ducks. Last year I got tendonitis (tennis elbow) in both my arms and had to stop shooting for a short time, but now I am healed and use the 500 as much as possible. :)

Bill

Thanks Bill! I will try again around the house and yard. If and until I get some ability with it, I will continue with the Gimbal headed tripod when I get out and travel for Wildlife,

andrewhuxman
03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
How do you do it? I bought the Bushhawk for the combination of the 1D Mark 3 and the 500 f4 and it is more than I can handle. Outside of general strength training like working out with weights or machines, is there a secret or process you can share?

Like Bill has said , Practice Practice Practice is the key. Get used to the weight how its balanced and it will all fall into place. I remember when I first got my 500 I went out and bought 2 10lb dumbbells and did strength exercises with those for 6 weeks and that really helped I would advise that to any one big or small Now its like nothing to shoot with it and the B/H makes it so much easier to shoot.

Bob Malbon
03-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Adding to the good BH advice: with the 500 f4 I used a hex cap screw ( bolt you tighten with an Allen wrench) instead of the supplied black plastic 1/4 -20 thumb screw. Be sure to add a washer and make it snug but not over tight. I have used a BushHawk for over 3 years and have no idea where my tripod is! Bob

Don LaVange
03-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Adding to the good BH advice: with the 500 f4 I used a hex cap screw ( bolt you tighten with an Allen wrench) instead of the supplied black plastic 1/4 -20 thumb screw. Be sure to add a washer and make it snug but not over tight. I have used a BushHawk for over 3 years and have no idea where my tripod is! Bob

Thank you all for advice on getting something out of my investment in the Bushhawk! I will give it another shot (no pun intended)!

Bob Malbon
03-14-2008, 08:43 AM
That 400 f2.8 also may take more weight training! I do feel that for me the 500 is all I could handle. Call BH on their 800# and ask John advice on how to set it up for such a heavy lens - John is great.
One point I learned from the guy who got me hooked on the BH was to angle the BH base plate so the front of the lens is about 10 degrees to the right if you shoot right. As I right this I feel that the Ergonomics of the setup is the biggest thing to get figured to make it work for you. Bob

Bill Sharkey
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Agree with Bob, the 500 is the max I would always have it on an angle, sometimes the collar on the lens has to have a minor turn too. It can't be overstated that you should be comfortable when you to snap that setup in front of you when a duck goes flying by.

I shot the other day with just the 500 (not on a BH) and found my view wandering and not keeping up with the target. I left and repaired the loose screw on the BH and my life was back to normal :)

Bill

Don LaVange
03-14-2008, 03:56 PM
That 400 f2.8 also may take more weight training! I do feel that for me the 500 is all I could handle. Call BH on their 800# and ask John advice on how to set it up for such a heavy lens - John is great.
One point I learned from the guy who got me hooked on the BH was to angle the BH base plate so the front of the lens is about 10 degrees to the right if you shoot right. As I right this I feel that the Ergonomics of the setup is the biggest thing to get figured to make it work for you. Bob

Bob:

Yeah, I just have the 500mm and it is heavy enough, Is the 400 2.8 heavier because if the larger f2.8 light gathering diameter?

andrewhuxman
03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
400 F 2.8 = 11.8 lbs.
500 F 4 = 8.5 lbs.
600 F 4 = 11.8 lbs.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree that I have to do weight training. Currently doing it but have to inrease it. I was carrying the 4002.8 and was trekking in the rainforests of Malaysia. Within 3 hours, I was sweating like anything. I had to take a break for half an hour after that. I am happy to know that long lenses can be used with the BH. Let me figure out how to do it with the 400 2.8. Not that I will always shoot the 400 f2.8 with BH, but will need it at times.

Desmond Gunatilaka
03-30-2008, 01:27 AM
The appearence resembling a rifle is a hindrance for this equipment to be carried in any public area. The first time I saw a BH, it had camoflage cover and looked scary.