PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Portrait

Charles Glatzer
08-22-2010, 10:17 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked!

Moremi, Botswana

1D Mark III , 500mm w/1.4x
Manual, spot off log, 1/125 @ f/5.6, ISO 1600
Post-production- CS5, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas

Hilary Hann
08-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Hi Chas, I like this as presented. The casual pose of the leopard along with its very clear, bright eyes make it a wonderful animal portrait and the strong diagonal lines of the tree branch in the background add to the composition.

Do you find the spot metering easy to manage in the field? I've tried it a few times but am not happy with my results at present.

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Great sharpest in the face and eyes, Pose also caused the paws to be in focus and that was a nice plus.

Chas, just to expand on the spot-metering for those not using it. What adjustment did you make here? Given that the log is close to middle gray and the soft light of the scene, you used the metered exposure. Possibly increasing it using a Expose to the Right method pushing the highlights up on the histogram. Depending upon the scenes dynamic range, amount of shadow, etc. I would not necessarily increase exposure to push whites right if that increases their tonal value above what they actually are.

Hilary, Once you understand correct spot metering technique, it can make a big difference in your photography. I hope Chas does not mind but to paraphrase, it is another crayon in the box.

Hilary Hann
08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Robert, I'll need to do some more practise with it and experiment a little more before I feel comfortable that I'll get acceptable results.

Tim Rucci
08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Wow, this is one sweet image, Chas. I can't find anything not to like about it. Thanks for sharing a look.

Ken Watkins
08-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Beautiful Leopard, beautifully captured.

Ignacio Yufera
08-24-2010, 09:25 AM
The pose and expression are so perfect, almost feels like a studio shot... Lovely soft light too.

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Absolutely gorgeous shot!

TFS,
Rachel

Nico Steenberg
08-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Great sharp detail and exposure spot on. Super IMG ;)