nikon d3s
1/25sec
f/22
180mm
iso 200

cloned intruding small leaf.

John Storjohann
08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Jay, I'd try tightening the composition in this one...starting the crop just above the flower petal in the upper left and then continuing to just right of the group of flowers in the upper right. The dead space above the flowers and to the right of the tight cluster detracts from the image for me. Great color, great sharpness; what type of flower is this? Do you recall?

Jay Sheinfield
08-22-2010, 12:22 PM
John..........

Don't recall the name, maybe someone else can identify them. I'll take a look at the crop you suggested. Thanks.

OvidiuCavasdan
08-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I like your composition because of the "flow' of the flowers, but agree that a crop from the top might look better. I think this is some kind of begonia...

Jay Sheinfield
08-22-2010, 12:41 PM
a little off the top

John Storjohann
08-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Jay, that's looking better..I'd go for a little more...then you have the "S" curve from lower right to upper left drawing your eye through the composition.

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Jay,
My first thought was similar to John's.....and if you go more from the top.....make sure not to cut the curled leaf. This does have a nice flow and light to it....so only other thing I can see is to clone/patch the part of the leaf in the LR frame edge....where it is yellowish. Otherwise a pretty good comp of a very difficult subject!

Julie Kenward
08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Hmm...I find myself wanting either more flower showing at the bottom or less. If there's not more, then I think I'd vote to crop right below where the yellow center of the first lower flower is, taking out the bottom two flowers. This is definitely a begonia - you can tell by the tiny stamen and the curly green leaves!

This is really a beautiful image, overall. I love the pop of color against those dark greens. Either crop - it certainly has presence in the frame.

Desmond Chan
08-23-2010, 01:29 AM
I think I'm more or less with John on this one. Rather than finding the background at the top distracting, to me, with that leaves-only space there, the image does not look balance to me as in there's not a leaves-only space at the bottom to balance it out. Does it have to be so? I don't know :p But it would be a safe way to compose the picture ;)

Jay Sheinfield
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback................I'll be trying some of the comp ideas and see what I like.

Jay

Anita Bower
08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Beautiful Begonia (don't know what type), color and light. I like the sharpness of the centers of the flowers. I think the dark BG hurts this image, even though it helps set off the lovely colors. I've tried a number of crops, and none satisfy me except for an extreme crop that includes only the top cluster and eliminates all the dark bg. I think this was a most challenging flower to photograph.

Jay Sheinfield
08-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Anita,

I went back and forth on BG darkness. I opted to darken only the leaf highlights and shine, to pop the flowers, and reduce "wandering eye" , though the general leaf color was dark. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay Sheinfield
08-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Anita,

I did some work on the BG leaves, what do you think?

Anita Bower
08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I like your rework a bit better, but still.....

Here is a turn and crop. What do you think? Might need a little work in the dark areas.

Jay Sheinfield
08-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Whoops, I lost my original crop in the repost and just corrected..........

.Well, I'm not sure. It looses a bit of the flow and depth of the original, that first attracted me. Saying that, the flowers still look great. I think this type of image has a couple of ways to compose that all look good.

You have an artistic eye, so I will consider your post a bit more...........Thanks, Jay

Anita Bower
08-28-2010, 04:29 AM
Whoops, I lost my original crop in the repost and just corrected..........

.Well, I'm not sure. It looses a bit of the flow and depth of the original, that first attracted me. Saying that, the flowers still look great. I think this type of image has a couple of ways to compose that all look good.

You have an artistic eye, so I will consider your post a bit more...........Thanks, Jay
Jay: As you write, there are many ways of photographing a particular flower. Your vision is the one that counts, so stick with it!!!