PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall, Mount Ranier NP

Ron Bernstein
08-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I'd be grateful for any input on this image - my first posting! It was taken about two weeks ago.

I'm sorry I can't give more information as to where this waterfall was located, but I will try to update this posting when I get it if there is any interest in the data.

Nikon D3 camera, Nikkor 16-35 f4 lens, Hoya HD circular polarizer, Gitzo GT3541XLS tripod, Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead, Nikon cable release.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Tnompson
08-21-2010, 02:40 PM
The colors look really nice and the blur on the water appeals to me , but the whole picture looks like it could use another round of sharpening as the rocks look a little soft to me. I would really like to know where in MRNP you found this nice water fall. Ron Thompson

Roman Kurywczak
08-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Hey Ron,
Welcome to the forum! I'm in Miami right now giving you this critique. If you get a chance post the ISO, SS, and f-stop too for others to learn and also help us critue a bit better and offfer any suggestions there. I like the comp with the silky water and flow and you left most distractions out. I might consider cropping from the right to eliminate the greenery protruding in....the also improves the comp IMO.....but it is OK as is and not a deal breaker. Perhaps another round of USM as Ron T suggested.....but overall very nicely composed and super light. Very nicely done on the 1st one and looking forward to more!
PS I think this is a small cascade by the side of the road on the way up?......almost by Paradise Lodge. Not 100% sure but it leads into a drainage ditch under the road if my memory serves me correctly.

Robert Amoruso
08-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Ron,

Welcome to the forum.

I downloaded the image and tried both sharpening it and using a local contrast enhancement (BG Copy with USM at 20/50/0) and neither produced the sharpness I was expecting. Softness may be due to tripod movement during exposure. I agree with the comments on the composition and like the flow of the water and the look caused by the slow shutter speed. I second posting the exposure info which is very important with a image like this.

Ron Bernstein
08-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Thank you both for posting. The image was shot at 1/4 sec, f 16, ISO 200, 31 mm. I will try my best to post the location, but
the person I need to ask is unavailable for about a week. You simply park in a lot just before a bridge and walk across the roadway.
There it is, tucked to the left, near a big slide of fallen trees to the right.

I made both suggested changes, and I believe they improved the image!
I have to wait to repost for 24 hours, right?

Robert Amoruso
08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Ron,

If you make adjustments to an image due to a critique, you just post that image as a Reply to Thread. The 24-hour limit is for a new posting.

Also best not to replace the original post but to leave that one as is and just post the image in the thread as a response. Thanks.

Nick Palmieri
08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Nice one Ron. The exposure looks good. The flow of the water and the color of the rocks looks great.

Judy Howle
08-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Good blur on the water and nice light. The rocks certainly are red!
Judy

Ron Bernstein
08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Based on the suggestions, for which I am grateful, I cropped from both sides to eliminate some green, and added sharpening.

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Ron,
I still prefer the OP with just the right side off and I kind of miss the OP's saturation in the repost. I think you get the idea though.....so regardless of the direction you finally settle on.....still an excellent comp and nice luxury to have with the crops!

Dave Mills
08-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Ron, welcome to the forum. Nice first image with a waterflow that is soft and still retains detail. I try and use 1/4sec on flowing water since I prefer that effect.
I also prefer the OP with the extra room. The small green on the upper right I could take or leave.
I might suggest in the future when shooting falls you try and leave some space in front of the falls. I like to shoot them tight and with room in front. One can make their preference on the computer...

John Platt
08-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Ron -

First off this is a wonderful image! Great shot and great PP. I prefer your original vision and would only add a slight contast layer and/or high pass filter to the foreground to slightly darken and sharpen it. But that is my taste, the image is very nice the way it is.

I also agree with the suggestion to shoot it with more room in the foreground, I would like to see a shot like that for comparison.

JP

Justin Reznick
09-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Ron! This brings back great memories! The name of the falls - "Sunbeam Falls".

Ron Bernstein
09-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Justin ought to know! It was due to his great tour leadership that we ended up here! Thanks for posting it in response to the inquiry from some posters.