PDA

View Full Version : common blue butterfly

dave blackwell
08-20-2010, 02:30 PM
hi first upload just got into macro i do enjoy it .this one was taken early as it was warming up i use a canon 40d with a sigma 150m macro .i try different apetures this one f13 exp 250 iso 400 i do use a tri pod and shoot in raw ,welcome any advice on macro :)

Mike Fuhr
08-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Very nice sharpness w the whole bfly in the plane of focus. I might lighten the whole pic a bit -- it looks a tad dark on my monitor. I like it a lot. Did you try rotating it 180 degrees -- I'd b interested to see how that would change the image. .

Desmond Chan
08-21-2010, 02:20 AM
As presented, I think this image could use some more contrast. Composition-wise I would suggest moving the butterfly off the center a bit more. Exposure, sharpness, etc. look all well handled.

Thanks for sharing, Dave !!

Roman Kurywczak
08-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Hey Dave,
Welcome to the forum! I think this is a very good 1st post! I agree with mike on some lightening overall.......and while I am OK with centered comps......I generally prefer them a bit tighter. That being said.....I love the flow of the grass you have the BF on. If you want to explore a crop......take off about 2/3 off the right and then split the proportions top and bottom. This will tighten the image up even further and the lightening will be an excellent final tweak to a really nice first post!!!

Julie Kenward
08-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Dave, although the butterfly is fairly centered I do like that you caught him diagonally within the frame...that really helps to cut back on that "stick it in the center" feeling. I'd also vote for a little more lightness and a closer crop but you did beautifully at getting the detail and focus right.

Ken Childs
08-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the macro group, Dave! You're in the right place to get great advice on shooting macro.

It appears that anything I would have said has already been covered. Great minds and all that...:D

dave blackwell
08-22-2010, 04:12 PM
hi guys i really appreciat all your advice regards dave:)

Jonathan Ashton
08-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Dave I like your shot very much, I have lightened a little in curves and recomposed, also a little noise reduction and small amount Smart Sharpen.