PDA

View Full Version : Owl Fly

Jim Bridges
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
This is what an Owl Fly usually looks like when I've found them in the grassland prairie. From what I've learned about them this is a defensive pose so that they look like a twig on a stick and to tell the truth I almost missed this one.:D I was fascinated by the two sets of eyes on each side of the head the first time I saw one. This was made with D 80 AF 105/2.8D on a tripod. ISO 100 f11@1/20 sec. PP with NX2.

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey Jim,
He is really well camouflaged!! You did really well with the DOF....sharp where it need it with a decent BG. I am wondering if you go a little more green on the BG saturation.....if that would make the fly stand out more......yes, kind of defeats the camo look......but visually for us would make it stand out more. Another option may be to lighten him a touch more.....except the dew covered wings. Just ideas to give it s touch more visual impact....w/o losing the camo story.
PS....a bit more room up front and less in the back would also be my preference.

Mike Moats
08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Jim, cool subject, looks a little like our fish flies up north near the water. Good details and BG.

dave blackwell
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
hi jim this a strange looking insect but great shoot and detail

Julie Kenward
08-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I love the details here, Jim. Lovely dewdrops and the eyes are so in focus. For me, I might consider flipping it to a horizontal angled presentation just because it would put his eyes more "eye level" for the viewer so they could see all that beautiful detail. Agree with Roman that more room up front and less behind would also strengthen the image.

Steve Maxson
08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
What a cool looking insect, Jim - those eyes are amazing! I hope to see and photograph one of these someday. Nice light, good sharpness and detail, a nice background, and the dew drops on the wings are a plus. I agree that a little more room in front of the antennae would be an improvement. Well done.

Ken Childs
08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Jim, I'm really glad you posted this. I took a shot of one of these a few weeks ago and had no idea what it was. You've saved me some research time. ;)

Roman has some good suggestions but even so, I really like the shot as is.

Anita Bower
08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Interesting insect. Lovely wings with dew, and nice, soft BG. Nice image.

Jim Bridges
08-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks so much for looking and the comments!