PDA

View Full Version : Egret Wash - Works for you or Not!

Lance Peters
08-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Something a little different - those who know me well - will know I love what is often referred to as a Colour Wash - OOF foreground objects that frame or partially hide the subject.

Not to everyones tastes - but when it does work - can work Brilliantly (Have a wonderful shot of a gannet I can post if anyone is interested and has not seen already)

D3S
Nikon 300MM F2.8
1/250TH
F5.6
-0.7EV
1600 ISO
Matrix Metering
Handheld

All comments greatly appreciated :)

Bill Dix
08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
This definately works for me. As you say, they don't always work out, but the pastel tones in this are really lovely, setting off the white of the egret. The only thing that bothers me a little is the patch of background halfway down the neck that someow looks clearer than the rest, like a foggy windowpane with a small patch wiped clean. It draws my eye, making me wonder what caused it.

Julie Kenward
08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I've got one almost identical to this of a Great Blue Heron and everyone loves it. As you said, when it works, it really works!

I might soften the stick running down the front of his body and the one directly behind his neck just a bit more but the colors of the FG and BG totally work for me. I feel like I'm out there stalking right alongside him!

Myer Bornstein
08-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Lance
it works for me. wish I had it:D

Eric Virkler
08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Love it Lance. Although I would prefer the egret farther back in the frame.

Eric Virkler
Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)