PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Launch

Layton E Parham
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Rocket launch Last Saturday morning from Cape Canaveral AFB. Photo was taken from over 11 miles away, in Titusville, Florida .
Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, @ 32mm, F4, ISO 320, 1/1600 sec

Don Railton
08-19-2010, 11:35 PM
WOW...great shot... But what are the dark streaks towards the top of the smoke trail heading upwards?

DON

Robert Amoruso
08-20-2010, 07:16 AM
WOW...great shot... But what are the dark streaks towards the top of the smoke trail heading upwards?

DON

Don, That is a shadow caused by the sun rays going through the dark smoke trail.

Layton, Great job balancing the VAB with the pier and placement of the launch trail. Of this images you sent me in your email, this was my favorite.

Any non-Floridians know what VAB is?:D

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey Layton,
Really nice job here! This image has a very nice balance to it as Robert mentioned.....the pier.....sun placement.....even the trajectory and vapor trail......all work for me! Excellent job on this!

So Robert.....enlighten the non Floridians what VAB is!

Robert Amoruso
08-20-2010, 05:44 PM
VAB is the Vehicle Assembly Building. First built to allow assembly of the Apollo so it has to be tall and voluminous. Now the Shuttle is assembled there and readied for launch - which will be ending sometime next year it seems. How knows about its future.

It is the largest by volume building in the world.

Myer Bornstein
08-20-2010, 06:26 PM
nice capture will Canaveral be there (activeI in the future??

Robert Amoruso
08-21-2010, 06:18 AM
nice capture will Canaveral be there (activeI in the future??

Yes, They will transisition into the next phase of space exploration. What that is however is up in the air as the current administration is not as supportive of a moon mission. They are developing a replacement for the shuttle though.

Mike Tracy
08-21-2010, 08:13 AM
It is the largest by volume building in the world. It used to have that distinction forever but has now been supplanted by a boeing plant in Wa. It does however have a smaller foot print which makes for such a large cavernous space that clouds can form within.

Nice shot of the Atlas. I like the light on the trail and reflection. The dock adds a nice element. I wish the sun was toned down a bit.

Doug Brown
08-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Very cool image!

Judy Howle
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Great capture Layton. Nice colors in the sunrise.
Judy

Dave Mills
08-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi Layton, coming in late on this but overall you captured an impressive sight. Good planning in picking a spot that has some interest other than the blast. Technically well handled with all elements working well together...

Andrew Aveley
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
am most impressed with the light and colours you have captured in this very creative image.:D