PDA

View Full Version : Denali Sunrise

Tim Rucci
08-19-2010, 05:29 PM
This is probably my favorite landscape image from my recent Alaska trip. I admit I have to back-peddle a little here, because I wrote earlier on 8/14 that I liked the colors best an a different shot I posted from this same spot, just prior to sunrise. As the sun rises the light hits the top of the mountain and extends downward until the entire mountain is illuminated. All the time the colors of the sky are changing, and the sky loses its color as the scene brightens. So there are lots of different looks in just a few mintues. I like this one because the sky still has good color even though the mountain is partially lit. I shot it at -2/3 and I feel that helped with the sky. After looking at many images from that morning, I think this is the best one.

I appreciate the comments on the prior image and I admit I should have used my tripod as several suggested. I actually did have it with me, but did not have a proper plate to mount the camera. In hindsight I could have removed the plate from my 500 f4 and made that work, but I had not thought of it. I was fortunate to get away with it on this occasion.

Details: Canon 40d, 17-40L lens, 1/60 at f5, (-2/3 EV), iso 400, hand-held.

Nick Palmieri
08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
The light on the top of that mountain is SWEET! I like the composition, the colors, and the reflection. I may consider removing the grasses on the bottom right.

Don Railton
08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
This is really nice Tim..I agree you could have mowed the grass in the lower rh corner..:D

Robert Amoruso
08-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Tim,

The grass has to go.

This image is more successful then the previous post (and that is a nice image) due to the sunlight top of the mountain.

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Hey Tim,
Another vote for grass eviction....but the light here is super strong. Light at top of Denali and the glow of colors just takes this one up to a whole new level! Great job with this one!

Tim Rucci
08-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for your kind comments and suggestions. I'm actually surprised though, that the opinion to remove the grass is unanimous. I actually composed it that way on purpose, but I also shot some frames without it so I would have it both ways. At the time I couldn't decide if I wanted anything in the foreground or not.

Roman Kurywczak
08-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Hey Tim,
More would have been OK....that little .....not enough of a base. Glad to see you did both! Was Ken with you?

Tim Rucci
08-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey Tim,
More would have been OK....that little .....not enough of a base. Glad to see you did both! Was Ken with you?

Hi Roman... Ken was there. We camped at Wonder Lake and got up at 3am to hike up to the pond. It was one of those things you don't feel like doing when the alarm goes off, but are glad you did afterward. I had not hit the sack until after midnight because we had been up at the pond until around 11:25pm doing sunset photos. Short night.

Here's a repost without the foreground grass...

Roman Kurywczak
08-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey Tim,
Works for me!!! I'll have to try and meet you 2 out there next year......will have to be earlier as I am in Tanzania in mid August. You really were blessed with a great sunrise......and the repost just makes it shine!

Judy Howle
08-21-2010, 10:22 PM
The color on the mountain is sweet! I liked the other one and this one trumps it.
Judy

Steve Bein
08-26-2010, 03:32 AM
A wonderful image. My only complaint is that the reflection in the water has more color than the subject mountain. I think that can be corrected in PS and then the image would be more fantastic.

Dave Mills
08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi Tim, the repost does it for me and well worth the effort getting to the location. The different gradients of color is magical with good detail throughout.Well handled technically!

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2010, 09:10 AM
lovely colours and mood Tim. the repost with the grass removed is much better to me as well...I might run some noise reduction on the sky as it looks a tad grainy