PDA

View Full Version : Leave nothing but footprints

Jim Michael
08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
This is one of the images from our trip to the Oregon coast last year.

Canham DLC 4x5
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar S, f/22, 1s
Ilford FP4 developed in Pyrocat HD

http://10squaredcorp.com/images/tracks.jpg

Nick Palmieri
08-19-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't have large format experience and just getting back into some chemical film developing so I cannot comment on the technique. The patterns and tonal range is nice, but IMO I wish the footprints were more diagonal across the image. TFS

Robert Amoruso
08-20-2010, 07:22 AM
WOW, FILM!!! and Ilford FP4 which I love but never used that developer before.

I do like the tonal range and dark presentation. I agree with Nick that the FG of the image with the smaller tracks appears very "light" when compared to the large tracks at the top which makes the image feel "heavy" up top. Diagonal placement of the large tracks would balance the image and provide a strong leading line.

Jim Michael
08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the comments. I somewhat agree about the large tracks. I think the patterns formed by the small tracks are interesting as is the wave pattern in the sand, but the image might have benefited from another interesting small feature such as a shell in the large negative space to balance things out. Re the process, after the negative was processed it was scanned (my wife prints for a number of artists and does a great job on the scanning) and everything is digital from there on.

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey Jim,
Can't add much tot he above comments as I agree with them.....and see you do also about the tracks and balance. That being said......doesn't mean this isn't interesting or well done......those tweaks would have just taken this to another level! Seeing this gives me some ideas for footprints so thanks for sharing this one!

Ron Bernstein
08-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I had a different reaction to this image. At first I was just struck by the stunning detail and tones. Then I saw mountains in the foregrounds, making those
footprints look like birds or planes. Then I saw the furrows, which made me think of mountain ranges. I thought this image was not readily apparent on scene,
was intelligently constructed, and just love it! I wouldn't change a thing!:D:D

John Platt
08-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I like this image very much. I would like to see a second version taken from a lower point of view to emphasize the texture and side lighting.

Overall it is terrific, makes me want to break out the old Rapidograph and go play....