PDA

View Full Version : Juvy Heron

wendell westfall
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
D90 70-200VR+2X@320 1/2500 f6.3 ISO1250 0EV handheld

This was taken on an overcast morning last week at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. The image was PPed in Lightroom and PSElements. I did remove a small rock above its middle back. And I did some work on the eye, some NR and sharpening.

Wendell

Randy Stout
08-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Wendell:

Nice soft light, well exposed, nice eye work, soft background(water color) works well with bird.
The image would be more engaging if he was turned more towards us.
Do you have more reflection? Looks like it is running into some grasses or perhaps shoreline below, so perhaps not. I might be tempted to crop up about 1/2 way from bottom to the bird, and then extend the canvas on the right. My thinking there is, if he is looking away, be sure to give him some room to gaze into, to sell the idea that there is something out there of interest to him. This might soften the impact of the head angle.
I might clean up a few of the darker spots on the water, because it is otherwise so clean.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
08-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi Wendell. One of your best, IMHO. Head looks almost parallel to sensor, but agree that a bit more turn might have given more contact. Concur with Randy on the crop. "Lot's to like here" as Lance would say.

wendell westfall
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Randy:
No, I don't have more reflection. I did almost no cropping of the image, though I do have a bit more on the right side, which I will include. I'll also crop as you suggest from the bottom. I deliberately left room there for its virtual feet, but I see now that I left too much. Thanks for your critique . . .

Connie Mier
08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I really like this, and agree that crop and adding to the right, and cleaning up water will improve an already very nice shot.